Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Complain about new iTunes/Where to get an old one

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Complain about new iTunes/Where to get an old one

My older version of iTunes kept crashing and after a really long time I finally gave in and decided to install a new version - I was stupid enough to think that it might be an improvement. Well, of course no new version is ever an improvement on the previous version...

The new iTunes looks worse, album infos are not shown as conveniently as before, I can't browse the library as well as before, the album cover scroll feature is gone, the Most Played Songs feature is gone, in fact I can't even see the number of albums and songs I have in my library anymore. What idiot thought that it would be an improvement to take away the list of tracks you have played the most? How is it good that you can't see anymore how many songs there are in your iTunes?

When it installed the new version it "organized" my library without asking my permission, and of course it screwed everything up as it filled in fields I did not want to have there. For example it filled all of those useless Album Artist fields so that every Miles Davis album is now listed with the letter M and not D - apparently it's unknown to iTunes that people are put in alphabetical order by their last name and not first. It's only about erasing the Album Artist field (and every other field it annoyingly filled out without asking from me) but since I have almost 2000 albums in my library it's going to take AGES to fix up the library.

All the worthless non-genres that I had carefully edited out (like "Easy listening", "Books & spoken" and "Children's music") are back with a new as stupid addition, "Christmas", so I have to do that again too...

Plus when it was messing up my library I could see the amount of songs it was "organising" and it was about 10 songs less than there should be in my library, so it looks like the new iTunes deleted some songs from my library, but as I can no longer see the total number of songs I can't be sure of it... and I can't know which songs it would have deleted. It deleted one album cover as well.

All the features and functions of the old iTunes were fine so why did they feel a need to make a new version that is clearly worse than the previous one? Do they have such an obsession for putting out new versions that if they can't improve it anymore, they start to go backwards and deliberately make worse versions?

This angers me and I want to have an older version of iTunes that was better... does anyone know where I can get one? Actually I tried to put the old one back but it gave me an error message and said that it won't install it because there is a newer version available... so that could be a problem. I just want to have a good version of iTunes that won't crash. (The iTunes on my older computer NEVER crashed, but when I got a laptop that version was the one that started crashing.) Thanks for reading this rant.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Junior Lounger

What version did you upgrade from and did you upgrade to the most recent? (11.1.3.8) Did you backup your library file before you did the upgrade? If not, and you upgraded from 10.X or earlier to 11.X, you are probably SOL because it changes the library irreversibly. The library cannot be back-converted and I don't think there will be a copy on your computer if you did not save one.

If you have a backup, a Google search should help you find an old version to clean install on your computer and link up with the old library file.

There are good reasons to always back up before upgrading and to save the install file for the most recent past version that one is satisfied with.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 AM

iTunes automatically creates a backup when you upgrade. It is in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder named iTunes Library <date of upgrade>.itl.

Assuming you use all defaults for iTunes.

1. Close iTunes.
2. Send the file iTunes\iTunes Library.itl to the Recycle Bin
3. Copy the file iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries\iTunes Library <date>.itl to the iTunes directory. Make sure that <date> is the newest date, or the date of the upgrade.
4. Rename the iTunes\iTunes Library <date>.itl to iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
5. Uninstall iTunes.
6. Get the version of iTunes you want from Download Old Versions of iTunes for Windows - OldVersion.com
7. Install iTunes.
8. Open iTunes, fix anything that may have changed due to the upgrade.
9. Be happy, until the iTunes Store refuses to talk to your iTunes because it is old.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 AM

You can fix a lot of the things by changing the view options in iTunes. You can bring back the sidebar for easier navigation, you can view your library as a list of songs with whatever track tag information you want (i.e. the classic list view), that will also allow you to see he total amount of sings I whatever you select (your library, a playlist, etc.) and how much space it takes up, you can organize your library by play count, and I can keep going on. Apple released a new version of iTunes that is a lot more simple for the average person to use. The average iTunes user does not need all the advanced options that power consumers do. So, instead if forcing Joe Plumber to navigate around those, Apple changed he default layout for iTunes to if their majority market. The niche power users still get things back to the way they were but now they have to work harder to do so. It makes since for the power users to spend the extra 10 minutes customizing iTunes instead of forcing 99.9% of heir consumer base to navigate something more complex than they need.

You'll eventually have to upgrade if you get a new iDevice down the line so you might as well get used to things now unless this update has you so upset (and stubborn) that you'll never buy an Apple product again.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 12-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey, thanks for the answers! I have my music backed up on a few external hard drives; I have built too big of a library to let it just disappear...

This is the most recent version, 11.1.3.8 and I don't know what number I had before but it was the newest version in September 2012 when I installed it. I definitely liked that one better except that it was pretty slow and crashed from time to time.

But how do you stop iTunes from messing up the library during installation? I have installed/upgraded iTunes twice and both times it "organized" my library which already was in perfect order - it didn't ask me about it, it just did it. Then I had to spend six months putting the library back in shape, sorting the artists back into real alphabetical order and albums by the release year and so on. It's a pain in the ### and I don't want to keep doing it over and over again.

I sort of have a "don't fix what isn't broken" policy with these things so that if I get a version of iTunes that has everything I want and doesn't crash, I won't ever upgrade it.

You don't happen to know which version released in September/October 2012 is one that works perfectly?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM

That setting shouldn't be enabled by default if your previous version of iTunes has it disabled. When you installed he new version of iTunes, was the option of "automatically organize library" (or something similar, I forget exactly what it is) enabled? iTunes should carry over all of your settings when updating to a new version. Are you going through the upgrade process or are you uninstalling e older version and installing the newer? You may want to go through Apple's yo dater software for future updates if you continue having issues.

Instead of rolling back, I highly suggest you get this version up and running. As I said, you'll need to upgrade if you ever get a new iDevice and there are some services that eventually get locked out of older versions of iTunes. You might as well get this version running how you like now instead of eventually having to do it later down the line.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Junior Lounger

[QUOTE=guestmunn25;1437935]Hey, thanks for the answers! I have my music backed up on a few external hard drives; I have built too big of a library to let it just disappear.../QUOTE]

It's not the music files themselves that control all those fields, it's the library database file, which is totally different. It's extension is .itl and it is imperative to understand how this file works if you want to control how your music is organized by iTunes. If your backup version was made with iTunes 10.X or earlier, the 11.X upgrade changes it irrevocably to a new format incompatible with older versions. That's why you would need to use the backup file and an older version if iTunes in order to restore things back to the way you want them.

That being said, I agree that if you want to continue to use the iTunes store, you will eventually be forced to upgrade. People who hate iTunes buy their digital music as .mp3 from other sites, like Amazon. But .aac files supposedly sound better than .mp3 files of the same compression, though most people probably can't really hear the difference in blinded listening tests.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
That setting shouldn't be enabled by default if your previous version of iTunes has it disabled. When you installed he new version of iTunes, was the option of "automatically organize library" (or something similar, I forget exactly what it is) enabled? iTunes should carry over all of your settings when updating to a new version.
I think there's two settings related to this, there's "Automatically retrieve CD track names from Internet" which I think is the feature that pulls out info from some database and fills up the blank fields in the ID tags - that used to drive me nuts until I finally realized to untick that box and it stopped doing it. Then there's "Keep iTunes Media folder organised", which I have enabled as I believe it's the only way to handle the media folder, I just assume that without it iTunes wouldn't put the files into any order.

As it no longer otherwise picked up info from the Internet to fill the ID tags, I don't know why it should have done so when I upgraded...

Quote:
Are you going through the upgrade process or are you uninstalling e older version and installing the newer? You may want to go through Apple's yo dater software for future updates if you continue having issues.

Instead of rolling back, I highly suggest you get this version up and running. As I said, you'll need to upgrade if you ever get a new iDevice and there are some services that eventually get locked out of older versions of iTunes. You might as well get this version running how you like now instead of eventually having to do it later down the line.
Actually I still haven't decided... I really don't like the look of this iTunes but it seems to work faster than the version I had before.

I need a second iPod but apart from that I'm not planning on getting any other 'iThings'. I don't support this constant updating trend anyway... they put out new versions of iTunes all the time, even when it's not necessary and it's just annoying when you have to back up and upgrade constantly...
Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallenmd View Post
It's not the music files themselves that control all those fields, it's the library database file, which is totally different. It's extension is .itl and it is imperative to understand how this file works if you want to control how your music is organized by iTunes. If your backup version was made with iTunes 10.X or earlier, the 11.X upgrade changes it irrevocably to a new format incompatible with older versions. That's why you would need to use the backup file and an older version if iTunes in order to restore things back to the way you want them.
I don't think I understood this. I mean, all the info in the files which I have backed up is fine, so if I can just link/connect that library to any iTunes then everything should be fine. But when I did that before there was the whole thing of filling up the ID tags with info that messed up everything..

Quote:
That being said, I agree that if you want to continue to use the iTunes store, you will eventually be forced to upgrade. People who hate iTunes buy their digital music as .mp3 from other sites, like Amazon. But .aac files supposedly sound better than .mp3 files of the same compression, though most people probably can't really hear the difference in blinded listening tests.
I've never used the iTunes store and won't ever use it, I rip my music from CDs instead so that's not an issue. I'd be happy to have a version of iTunes that is so good that you never have to upgrade it - don't know why anyone else would want to be a slave of endless upgrading
Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 PM

Junior Lounger

If you don't use the iTunes store, consider switching to MediaMonkey. It is far superior to iTunes.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestmunn25 View Post
I don't think I understood this. I mean, all the info in the files which I have backed up is fine, so if I can just link/connect that library to any iTunes then everything should be fine. But when I did that before there was the whole thing of filling up the ID tags with info that messed up everything..
You need to understand that iTunes stores much of the metadata about your songs in its own proprietary database file (*.itl) rather than as tags in the music files themselves. Thus, if you lose that or it gets changed and you cannot retrieve it from your music files because it's not in them. You can find out exactly what isn't stored in the music files by searching this site or Googleing the issue. There are plenty of complaints on the Apple forums about iTunes messing with genres. Consider MediaMonkey. It gives you total control.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallenmd View Post
If you don't use the iTunes store, consider switching to MediaMonkey. It is far superior to iTunes.
At the risk of opening up old nerd arguments, for the majority of users, it's not even close to equal to iTunes. Heck, it's not even a possible alternative for most users. It's a good program for managing video and audio on the clickwheel iPods and older iOS devices, but that's it.

Will it manage your apps? No. Will it update your device? No. Will it integrate with your iTunes Match content? No. Will it work with the 74% of devices running iOS7? No. Will it ever be updated again? Who knows, its last update was over a year ago, and it's been more than 2 years since its last major revision.

It's a niche program for anal retentives to manage large audio libraries exactly their way, that's it. For most users it's no longer an alternative, and for most of the remaining users, it's still objectively inferior to iTunes in myriad ways.

Should they be recommended to look into it? Sure, they may be exactly the sort of niche user for whom MM is a better choice, but they are rare to say the least.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Will it manage your apps? No. Will it update your device? No. Will it integrate with your iTunes Match content? No.

It's a niche program for anal retentives to manage large audio libraries exactly their way, that's it.
Which means it may be perfect for the OP. He said he hates what iTunes did to his music and that he will never use the iTunes store. Thus no Match and probably no apps.

All of your arguments are sound. I have >200,000 tracks collected over 30 years and iTunes chokes on that, is super slow and crashes constantly. So I manage my music with MM, which handles it with aplomb, and use an iPod Classic for music portability. I have an iPod Touch 5 for apps, Audible, and podcasts. This arrangement works great for me. I would gladly use iTunes for everything if it worked.

I frankly don't really care if MM is ever updated again, as it meets my music needs perfectly as is with the output plug-in that allows me to stream anywhere in my house and the remote that lets me run it from my iPad. But 4.1 is in beta, so there is still updating going on, however slowly.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 AM

Senior Lounger

I'm sure you can buy the songs with iTunes and just import them into Media Monkey.

iPod Touch 4th Generation 32 GB White / Windows
Old 12-14-2013, 12:14 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
I'm sure you can buy the songs with iTunes and just import them into Media Monkey.
Certainly. I do it all the time, though I am increasingly buying more from Amazon than iTunes if there is no digital booklet on iTunes. Amazon is often cheaper too.

I was merely pointing out that if iTunes-only functions and the iTunes Store are irrelevant, then MediaMonkey is a viable alternative.

For me, the decision was forced by the fact that whenever I have a library with more than about 50,000 tracks, iTunes slows way down (even scrolling), starts to freeze and throws "unknown" errors when trying to save the library. I had to break my library into several different libraries by genre in order to use it, which meant that I could not have all of my genres on one iPod. I spent hours searching the internet and posted on several forums (including this one) and got no answers. Apple and the local Apple Store "geniuses" were no help either.

Now I have a strategy that works. I manage music with MediaMonkey and an iPod Classic, and I manage apps, audiobooks and podcasts with iTunes and an iPod Touch 5. It's a bit of a pain to have to use 2 programs, but it's better than having to split my music into multiple libraries.

Topic: Complain about new iTunes/Where to get an old one

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.