Seriously, you can't drag-and-drop new files into iTunes anymore? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Seriously, you can't drag-and-drop new files into iTunes anymore?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Power Lounger

Seriously, you can't drag-and-drop new files into iTunes anymore?

So for the past, like, ever, the way I've imported new files into iTunes is first I move the files (.mp3, or whatever) into the "iTunes Media" folder (so it's already there, and doesn't have a second copy made on importing), then just drag them into iTunes into whatever playlist I want them in. Today, after upgrading to iTunes 11, (EDIT: 11.1, I guess I already had 11.0) I can't seem to drop the files into iTunes. I just get the "no parking" circle when I try.

Is there something I'm missing, or does this mean that the only way to import files now is using the "File -> Add file/folder to library" options?

Does anybody have a link to the previous version's installer, so I can downgrade? I should have known better than to update without a backup in place...

EDIT: Well I managed to downgrade to my previous version (11.0) using Windows' "Previous Version" feature on the "Program Files (x86)/iTunes" folder. Although for whatever reason (I guess since it was in the Program Files folder?) I was not able to "restore" it automatically, I had to copy the backup version to my desktop and then restore it manually. Then it said "iTunes Library.itl could not be read because it was created with a different version of iTunes." Luckily iTunes makes automatic backups of the library any time this happens, so I just copied/renamed that one, and it seems to have worked. All my media is still in place, and I'm dragging/dropping files into iTunes. Fingers crossed that something else isn't broken that I just haven't discovered yet...

iPod Touch 32GB (4th gen., Black) | iTunes 11.0.1.12 (8942 songs, 27.5 days, 37.13 GB)
SmartLists by Code Monkey

Last edited by bwh79; 09-26-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 AM

I have been able to drag-and-drop media files into iTunes since upgrading to version 11.1. I'm using OS X and not Windows but it still works. I wonder if it's because your media files are already in the iTunes Media folder. Try dragging-and-dropping media files not already in the folder. This will be fine so long as you setup iTunes to copy files to your library location when adding them to your library.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Veteran Lounger

It works fine for me with Windows 7 & iTunes 11.1. I don't usually put files into ITunes Media first, but I did this time for the experiment. Dragged from there into the music library & song was imported, moved to the correct location, and playable in iTunes.

Win7/28162 songs/3244 Artists/2713 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Power Lounger

Huh. I wonder why it didn't work for me. Did you drag the files directly into a playlist, or just into the main iTunes library?

The reason I move the files into the media folder first is because otherwise it's going to make a copy, which can take quite a while if I'm importing a bunch of songs at once, or something big like a movie, and then I'm just going to delete the original anyways. So instead I just put it in the media folder to begin with; that way it doesn't have to make a copy, it just takes the original and whisks it away to wherever it needs to be.

iPod Touch 32GB (4th gen., Black) | iTunes 11.0.1.12 (8942 songs, 27.5 days, 37.13 GB)
SmartLists by Code Monkey
Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 PM

I was dragging into both. I have a playlist already made and dragged directly into it from Finder (OS X's version of Windows Explorer, not to be confused with Internet Explorer). The files were added to the playlist and then physically coped to my iTunes directory.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 10-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face Same thing for me

I am experiencing the exact same problem... You're not crazy! I upgraded to iTunes 11.1 just now and can no longer drag/drop music files into my library. This is more of an annoyance than a show-stopper, but honesty, there are a growing amount of annoying little "features" like this seeming to pop up as time goes by and apple releases worse and worse looking /functioning versions of this once-great software. The issue is finding a good alternative. Yes, I've tried Media Monkey and yes I've of course tried WinAmp. MediaMonkey completely screws up all of your album art (irreversibly, I might add), and WinAmp is simply too simple. I guess I don't understand why Apple is always messing with the iTunes features that we come to rely on, and then we turn around and they're simply either gone, or altered beyond all recognition. Very frustrating! Anyone have any ideas as to why the gentleman who started this thread and I can no longer drag & drop our music files into the iTunes library? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Cheers...
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

...oh by the way, I'm running Windows 7 x64
Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Senior Lounger

MediaMonkey did not screw up any of my album art. I lost some during the transition, which I blame on the way iTunes handles art. But that was easily fixed using the tag from the web feature plus adding the art directly to the albums from my pictures directory. BTW, I moved 200,000 tracks from iTunes to MM and have never regretted it.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:48 PM

When I have this issue, a reboot seems to fix it.

I think it's a Windows thing...

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-23-2013, 02:16 AM

Reclined Lounger

I'm on Windows and turning on the old Sidebar view (Ctrl-S) should let you drag and drop again. It works for me, anyway.

16GB iPad Mini (White) (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
8GB 5G iPod nano (Silver)
128GB iPhone 6 (Silver)
60GB 5G iPod Video (Black)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM

I didn't even think about the lack of a sidebar. I have it enabled on all of my systems as that is what I am used to. I didn't think that not having the sidebar would affect whether or not files could be dragged-and-dropped into iTunes. That might be something worth investigating just so that people could be helped in the future.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Fixed

Hello lovely people.
I had the same problem where when I tried to drag and drop mp3 files into itunes, it just wouldn't let me. I tried restarting the computer as suggested and it seemed to have fixed the problem. Could just be a bug that comes every now and then. Restarts seem to fix so much! Glad it was that simple though.

Topic: Seriously, you can't drag-and-drop new files into iTunes anymore?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.