Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Show Duplicate Items Grayed Out and Disabled in iTunes 11

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Show Duplicate Items Grayed Out and Disabled in iTunes 11

Hello, I have a question about the Show Duplicate Items option in the View menu of iTunes 11.0.3.42 running on Windows 8.

Iíve ripped my CD collection to my hard drive, and am loading my 32 GB iPod Touch (5th GenerationóI just bought it this weekend) via iTunes.

I have numerous tracks with duplicate titles. I would like to delete the actual duplicate songs.

Hereís what I did: I went into the View menu and tried to select Show Duplicate Items. This option is grayed out. I canít get it enabled no matter what I try.

I was wondering if this feature works only for tunes purchased and downloaded from iTunes? If not, and it can be used for anything on my iPod, then why is this feature grayed out, and what can I do to use it?

Thank you very much! Jd

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM

The section you have selected in the left hand bar determines whether or not the Show Duplicate Items is available or not.

If you are clicked on TV Shows, it is grayed out. If you are clicked on Music it is enabled.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-02-2013, 03:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have the MUSIC section clicked. The entire list of music currently on my iPod Touch is visible. A little over 4,200 songs.

The Show Duplicate Items option is still grayed out and unavailable. Anything else I can try?

Jd
Old 06-02-2013, 03:58 PM

The problem is that you have the iPod Touch selected

The Show Duplicates is intended to work with your library on your PC not your devices.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-02-2013, 04:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Okay, so how do I search for and remove duplicates off the device?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM

You don't. You remove duplicates from your library and put the music on your device.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

I don't think I understand. How do you create a library BEFORE putting the music on the device?

I thought the library was created BY putting music on the device. If I disconnect the device, then there's no way I can see the list of songs I dragged into iTunes. Am I right about that?

Can you take a moment and elaborate on this? Thank you. Jd
Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Sure, we have an article on this.

The basics are:
1. You have a library of Music, Movies, Podcasts, TV Shows, Audiobooks and Books on your PC in iTunes.
2. You sync (or manually drag and drop) to your device.

The Beginner’s Guide to iTunes | iLounge Article
iPod Connection and Synchronization | iLounge Article

Old 06-02-2013, 06:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well, I read the article and didn't follow most of it. Too complicated. I've spent hours loading 32 gigabytes' worth of music onto my device, and now I don't know if I have to start over or not, just to locate duplicate items.

I can't see the point of creating a library. It doesn't make sense to me. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever getting the music loaded onto the device. Why create a library first?

I also didn't create any playlists, because I shuffle the songs and play them in random order. I've heard you can shuffle a playlist, but it just seems far easier to just load the music and shuffle them.

So...is there a way to scan my device for duplicates, without starting over and doing this all over again, which took hours?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:44 PM

To get the music onto your iPod Touch you loaded into iTunes onto your PC first right?

So unless you deleted the music from the PC it should still be there.

So look for the duplicates on the PC. Delete them as needed.
Then Sync the iPod Touch to iTunes, (assuming you sync the entire iTunes Library) and all duplicates will be removed from your iPod Touch.

You should never have your music on an i* device only. These devices (just like any MP3 player) can get finicky and need to restore, which erases the device and loads what is in iTunes again.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Please forgive my frustration.

Quote:
To get the music onto your iPod Touch you loaded into iTunes onto your PC first right?
Yes. My entire music collection has been digitized and takes up a considerable amount of space on a 2 terabyte external hard drive.

Quote:
So unless you deleted the music from the PC it should still be there.
Correct.

Quote:
So look for the duplicates on the PC. Delete them as needed.
I'm not willing to do that, because many of the duplicate items are parts of compilations. I can afford the space to have these duplicates.

What I might be willing to do, however, is copy the music I want loaded onto the device to a folder on my main C drive. That way, it would be easy to find duplicates, and delete the copies before loading the device. Unfortunately, I've already fully loaded the device, so starting over from scratch would be a colossal waste of time. But I do understand your point.

Quote:
Then Sync the iPod Touch to iTunes, (assuming you sync the entire iTunes Library) and all duplicates will be removed from your iPod Touch.
I think I know how to do this, but I haven't tried it yet. Since I fully loaded the device, it might be a while before I try it.

Quote:
You should never have your music on an i* device only. These devices (just like any MP3 player) can get finicky and need to restore, which erases the device and loads what is in iTunes again.
I understand and agree. I also don't have my music collection on one external hard drive. If that conks out, I lose everything I've digitized, and would have to rip a LOT of cd's all over again. I'd rather spend 100 bucks on a spare external hard drive than spend days ripping discs all over again.

I did dabble with creating a library, separate from the device. The Show Duplicate Items feature worked. I tried importing some WMA files and they were converted to MP3 format, which is what I specified. I'm having trouble importing FLAC tracks, though. But that's another issue.

Thanks for your patience and for helping me.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM

You'd be better off creating a playlist of non-duplicates in iTunes, and shuffle through that.

No data lost. And you can ensure maximum space usage in your iPod Touch.

Heck, once you figure out that Shuffle has a bad randomizer, you may want to use Code Monkey's nested smart playlist solution to mix music. smartlist_management.pdf

Topic: Show Duplicate Items Grayed Out and Disabled in iTunes 11

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.