Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Original iTunes download?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Original iTunes download?

Is there a safe way to download the original (or close to it) iTunes download?
I made what I now consider to have been a huge mistake in downloading the latest version of iTunes, which has been an unending series of problems.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:24 PM

By original, I take it you mean the previous edition since the true original version of iTunes was only for Mac OS X and it won't work in original hardware/software. If that's the case, you can download a previous version of iTunes rather easily. You can find installation files using Google, it should take you all of 5 seconds to find an installation file for the previous version of iTunes.

That being said, it won't work. Your current library file has been upgraded to work with the latest version of iTunes. Once that happens, you cannot revert back to an older version of iTunes as the library file will no longer work with older versions of iTunes.

The best thing you can do is get the current version of iTunes up and running the way you like it. What problems are you having with it?

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
By original, I take it you mean the previous edition since the true original version of iTunes was only for Mac OS X and it won't work in original hardware/software. If that's the case, you can download a previous version of iTunes rather easily. You can find installation files using Google, it should take you all of 5 seconds to find an installation file for the previous version of iTunes.

That being said, it won't work. Your current library file has been upgraded to work with the latest version of iTunes. Once that happens, you cannot revert back to an older version of iTunes as the library file will no longer work with older versions of iTunes.

The best thing you can do is get the current version of iTunes up and running the way you like it. What problems are you having with it?

The three major problems are that I cannot display the songs that are already on my IPODS.
A computer "Authorization" issue is another.
Whenever I open iTunes my wife's ID shows up with my song listings. Entering either her password. or mine, doesn't work.
We have both tried changing our passwords, which didn't help. The instructions for authorizing our computer seem simple enough; the only problem is that it doesn't work. At least; not for us.
The third problem is transferring newly purchased songs to an IPOD. I used to be able to just "drag & drop" them.
I can't do that now, but I suspect that this may be related to the "computer authorization" issue. Obviously; both my wife and I have only basic computer skills.
We can use the various programs that we have installed quite well, but when something unusual, or new to us, crops up and we can't correct it, we find ourselves at a frustrating dead end! iTunes help wasn't of any help to us either.
I sure hope that you can offer a way to solve our dilemma.

Last edited by kornchild2002; 04-29-2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: took away the bold font
Old 04-28-2013, 04:15 PM

1. So does your iPod not show up in iTunes (Mac:iPod not recognized in iTunes and Mac desktop Windows:http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1369)? Or have you not tried clicking on the triangle to expand it, then click on the Music section to see your tracks.

2. Apple has some help for that: Mac:iTunes: Missing folder or incorrect permissions may prevent authorization Windows:iTunes repeatedly prompts to authorize computer to play iTunes Store purchases my guess is permission issues.

3. If you can't see your iPod, this will be resolved once you fix that. If you can see your iPod, then you need to tell iTunes you want to manually manage it. Click on the iPod in the left column, then in the general section on the right, put a check mark next to manually manage music, and click apply or sync (which ever the button in the bottom right says).

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Original iTunes download?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.