Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why does iTunes take so long to import my CDs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Why does iTunes take so long to import my CDs?

I am attempting to import my CD collection onto my computer, at the rate that it's currently running, it will take too long to complete.

It's taking about 1 minute 20 seconds per track. It also shows around (2.8x) next to the time remaining.

This cannot be right?

I am using Windows 7, the CPU is an AMD Vision processor 1.3GHz with 2GB RAM.

Is it simply a because the computer is slow, or is there some way I can improve this?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM

For a modern OS like Win 7, 1.3 GHz is not very fast and 2 GB of RAM for Win 7 is bare minimum, was this originally an XP box? If it was, Win 7 will use more system resources and could explain what you're seeing. Best to up your RAM to at least 4 GB.

The slow speed may also be your CD drive, and not too expensive to replace it if it is 5+ years old or more (or, is this a laptop?) An external CD ROM is another alternative.

Another thing that slows ripping down are scratched CDs, or if you enable the "Use error correction" in iTunes import settings, that will slow things down (ironically, the time to use error correction is when you have scratched CDs).

Finally, iTunes is not known to be the most efficient ripper. You might try a 3rd party app like "Exact Audio Copy" which many people like -- it might be faster than iTunes, although I don't know if it will auto-populate iTunes for you once the ripping is done.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, it's a laptop, it came with Windows 7, however, it is and has always been fairly slow. It's only about I've had it about 18 months from new, but it is a very low end model.

After reading your post, I had another look at the settings I had for ripping cds. It seems I had left the use error correction setting on, so I've removed that. I tried that out when I was trying to solve another problem I'm having with sound distortion with a few cds which otherwise play fine (I'm not sure what the issue is there, perhaps the drivers?) Anyway, it's now reading them at a more reasonable rate taking about 20-25 seconds per track.

I'll look into "Exact audio copy" too thanks, might make things faster too.

How long does it typically take for a decent computer to rip music?

Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Ahh, score! Having been bit by that setting myself, its nice to help someone with that issue.

I think 20-25 seconds per track is very reasonable, I don't think you're going to get much better than that. Have fun!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 AM

Its weird as that "error correction" setting really does slow things down in Windows. However, on my MacBook Air (1.7GHz Core i5 low voltage CPU with 4GB of RAM) and external SuperDrive, I can rip tracks in iTunes at about 30X speeds. Granted, Intel's CPU (even being a low voltage model) is much, much more powerful than AMD's line but I think it has more to do with the coding of iTunes for Windows. The same thing happened to me on my Windows systems as I would experience average ripping speeds of 10-15X through iTunes and about 45-50X of secure ripping with dBpowerAMP.

That brings me to another suggestion. EAC (exact audio copy) takes a bit of work to get it up and going. Its a really good ripper if you want to rip to mp3 but it can be a pain if you want to rip to another format. dBpowerAMP is a ripper that is just as secure but it has a more user friendly interface. EAC relies on command-line input in order to change encoder settings but dBpowerAMP is all visual. I highly recommend taking a look at that too. The only downside is that it isn't free but I think it is well worth the price if you don't want to go through and find a command-line for ripping to AAC using the QuickTime AAC encoder (if you want to use AAC, you should be sticking with QuickTime as it has been receiving the highest review scores in terms of quality).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 AM

Senior Lounger

EAC + Lame - the only thing I've used for about 5 years for CDs.
dBpoweramp + Lame, used this to convert my cassette recordings to mp3 from wav, super fast.
Good stuff!

Topic: Why does iTunes take so long to import my CDs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.