Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes apps questions...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Senior Lounger

iTunes apps questions...

Does the App Store sometimes stop offering apps?
My son has an old Star Wars game on his touch. Some millennium falcon flying game. He asked me to put it on his new mini. I searched and searched for it and couldn't find it. So I plugged the touch into my PC and the game transferred to iTunes. I then plugged in his mini and put it on his mini.

Is there a way that I can get every app I buy to load into my iTunes automatically?

If my PC dies and I get a new one is every app I ever bought stored as to be retrievable if I get a new PC? Kind of like the way songs are?

Thanks.

| 4th gen iPod touch 8GB | 4th gen Shuffle 2GB | iPad Mini1 32GB | iPad3 16GB 4G | Apple TV (gen 3) | 160GB Classic | iPhone 4 | 6th gen 8GB Nano | iPad1 32GB 3G | 4th gen iPod touch 8GB | 2nd gen iPod touch 16GB | 3rd gen iPod 10GB | 5th gen iPod 60GB | 2nd gen 2GB Nano | 1st gen 4GB Nano | 1st gen 1GB Nano | 2nd gen Shuffle 1GB | 3rd gen 8GB Nano | 1st gen Shuffle 512MB |

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Apps are sometimes removed from the App Store over time. There are various reasons for this and Apple never officially releases them. There is a way to make iTunes automatically download newly purchased apps, songs, and videos that you have purchased but there isn't a way to force iTunes to download all previously purchased material. You aren't going to have access to every previously purchased app though. I downloaded VLC for my iPod touch and iPad back in 2010 but the app was taken down due to copyright infringement. It is not available for me to download again. Once its gone, its gone.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Senior Lounger

Interesting. But as long as VLC is on your PC you can continue to put it on your iDevices, right?

It's interesting because I have a list in my iTunes called "purchased." But it only has purchases made in the last year or so. But if I go to the iTunes app on my iPhone or iPad I can see every music, video, and TV show I've ever downloaded. So obviously Apple is keeping track for me.
I just want this same feature to be available on the iTunes on my PC.

| 4th gen iPod touch 8GB | 4th gen Shuffle 2GB | iPad Mini1 32GB | iPad3 16GB 4G | Apple TV (gen 3) | 160GB Classic | iPhone 4 | 6th gen 8GB Nano | iPad1 32GB 3G | 4th gen iPod touch 8GB | 2nd gen iPod touch 16GB | 3rd gen iPod 10GB | 5th gen iPod 60GB | 2nd gen 2GB Nano | 1st gen 4GB Nano | 1st gen 1GB Nano | 2nd gen Shuffle 1GB | 3rd gen 8GB Nano | 1st gen Shuffle 512MB |
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM

When looking at previous purchases, iTunes defaults to content that isn't on your computer. You have to click on the "Display All" content. iOS devices default to content that isn't on them as well. However, if you have been purchasing content for years, it is going to appear like a much bigger list than content that isn't on your computer.

So long as VLC is on my computer, I can still sync it to my iDevices. I cannot download it ever again though. I have a few apps, music videos, and songs that are like that. They were once on the iTunes Store but aren't any longer and there's nothing I can do.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Veteran Lounger

The Millennium Falcon game in question was removed roughly a year ago because the license for the Star Wars property expired and the publishers no longer had the rights to sell the game.

Generally speaking, even after an app is "pulled" from the store it actually still remains for download in your purchased history except in a limited number of cases:

1. An alleged copyright infringement that Apple bothers to listen to. The sad part here is that Apple will pull indie projects in a split second if a large enough party, e.g. Nintendo, whines regardless of merit, leave the indie dev out all their time and investment with rarely any chance of getting their product put back even when there is no clear infringement, but will leave blatantly obvious theft or fraud up for weeks or longer when it's a small dev getting ripped off.

Then you have oddball cases like the VLC kornchild mentioned - freeware, open sourced to the point anyone can download the code and compile it, but who's original developer decided to be a complete arse and demand it was removed from the app store simply because the technological nature of how the app store functions did not dot every 'i' and cross every 't' about *his* notion of its open source license (i.e. even though every man, woman, and child with access to the iTunes app store in their locale was free to obtain a personal license free of charge to use the app, because each individual copy of the app distributed was still tied to a personal license, NO SOUP FOR YOU!).

2. Violations of their policies that Apple decides to be snippy about. Generally speaking, extremely random reasons, e.g. they freaked out and removed an app because you could download pictures of topless women with it even though guess what you can do with Safari?

3. The developers themselves actively pull the app from the store. This is what happened with the Millennium Falcon game. The devs made some PR releases that their license was expiring, so get it now if you wanted it because they would have to stop selling it after the license expired.

Topic: iTunes apps questions...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.