Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Saving iPod Playlists

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Saving iPod Playlists

Hello there,

I would like to save some of my favorite playlists from my iPod. The issue is, I use my iPod in manual mode, meaning that it's not synchronised to the iTunes library.
I would be really happy to be able to backup those playlists, so that when my iPod dies I still have them on the next one (I already have a backup of the tunes from my iPod on an external hard-drive. To copy I just dragged the "music" folder from my iPod to my Ext HD)
Is there any way to do that?

Thank you very much

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM

First off make sure any music that you have in your iPod is in your iTunes.

Then connect your iPod to iTunes (don't auto sync, you can hold SHIFT as it is connecting to get a prompt to stop it) then right click each playlist in the iPod and choose Export. Save the txt file someplace you can find it again.

Then you can import the playlist into iTunes with File->Library->Import Playlist.

If the music that was on your iPod is in your iTunes you should get an exact copy of that playlist in iTunes.

Then you can sync it to the new iPod, then turn on manual management.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Smile

This solution requires my iPod and iTunes library to be the same... But I use my iPod in manual mode, which means that my iTunes library is always empty, I usually directly drop the music on my iPod. When I do a backup, I simply copy the music folder (hidden folder) to an external hard drive. I cannot obviously do that with my iPod playlists... But I've had another idea. I figured out that if I tag all the music from one playlist with, for instance, "reggae playlist" as a genre tag or whatever, when I'll backup my iPod the tag will remain. Then, if I have to change my iPod in the future, I won't find the playlists but I'll have its elements tagged. I'll just have to search for "reggae playlist" and the tunes will appear. Then, I'll just have to make a new playlist and drag the tagged element into it!
Not sure if i'm being clear
Thank you so much for helping anyway. If you have better suggestion, I'm still open!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 PM

Sorry, if you're not keeping an iTunes library then there's no way to backup your playlists.

iTunes is intended to be left populated, and if you really stick to "the iTunes way" then your iPod should only be thought of as a "mirror" (or sample) of your complete library. If you want to manually manage your iPod, this means (a) adding all new material to your iTunes library first, or at least in addition to your iPod, and (b) creating your playlists in your iTunes library and dragging them over to your iPod.

If you choose to deviate from this methodology, it can be a rocky relationship
Old 05-01-2013, 04:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question

I know right, but I don't have a choice! Either I choose automatic sync and I can't play my music on anyone else's computer without being threatened of potentiel complete loss of datas, either I set manual mode and have to manage 2 libraries, and to keep them identical whatever I do (add music on my iPod etc). What can I do!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Use automatic sync on your own library, and hold shift when connecting to other computers to prevent the automatic sync. If you want set manual mode on the other computers, so you don't have to hold sync.

Or you can use manual, as long as there is a copy of the music in iTunes on your hard drive.

Plus it is not the syncing that is the issue, it is the fact that you have no copy of your iPod's contents elsewhere. An iPod is not infallible, it can need a restore or crash, and then you lose the only copy of your music. A backup of your computer is also a good idea as hard drives also crash.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Last edited by cjmnews; 05-01-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added manual use is OK too.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cool

I DO have a backup, on an external drive! But it's a raw backup: the iPod's music folder directly dragged onto it. That was the point of my idea: by tagging the music with the name of a playlist (for example, I tagged all the tunes from my reggae playlist with "reggaeplaylist" as a genre) in iTunes, then copying the music on my hard drive, I would be able to recreate them later if I change my iPod. The tag would not disappear, contrary to the playlist.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:25 PM

The "iTunes" way to do it, would be to import those songs into your iTunes library.

Then follow post #2 of this thread.

After that you will have the songs and playlists in your iTunes. Now (or some other time in the future) you can sync a new iPod, iPhone or iPad to your iTunes and have the same songs and playlists as on your original iPod.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up

I guess I'll try that next time! Thank you!

Topic: Saving iPod Playlists

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.