Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes skips songs

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes skips songs

When playing some songs on iTunes it will skip past the song and not play it at all. This isnít the same issue as the exclamation mark which appears when a song canít be found as at least that will let you look for the folder.

The songs are in my music folder so itís not like theyíve been deleted. How can I get iTunes to point towards the correct folder? I know I could just double click on the folder and the song will play on iTunes but I would like to keep my play count info, etc. Also if I retained the "original" version I would end up with duplicates, one which will play and one which won't.

Also is there a way to find all songs like this? I know when a song has an exclamation mark against it it will show all other songs with the same problem.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Squeeam

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Songs that are skipped are usually unchecked. You will need to check them to play them.

The other cause is the exclamation mark issue where the song was moved. There is a post on that.
How to isolate missing tracks (exclamation mark)

The fix for the exclamation of locating the files will retain your play counts etc.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Songs that are skipped are usually unchecked. You will need to check them to play them.

The other cause is the exclamation mark issue where the song was moved. There is a post on that.
How to isolate missing tracks (exclamation mark)

The fix for the exclamation of locating the files will retain your play counts etc.
All songs that have skipped are checked.

The skipped songs don't have an exclamation mark against them. They just go straight on to the next song.

Any other ideas?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 PM

They could have exclamation marks by them if you try and do a Get Info.

Another idea is that these songs are not authorized to play on your iTunes. Can you play the songs manually? Does it ask you for a password?

Another idea is that the songs have bad ID3 tags (MP3 only) like they are v1 tags. Can you right click the song and choose Convert ID3 and choose v2.3 and see if that helps?

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
They could have exclamation marks by them if you try and do a Get Info.

Another idea is that these songs are not authorized to play on your iTunes. Can you play the songs manually? Does it ask you for a password?

Another idea is that the songs have bad ID3 tags (MP3 only) like they are v1 tags. Can you right click the song and choose Convert ID3 and choose v2.3 and see if that helps?
These songs have played on my itunes for years. I'm not sure what you mean by playing the songs manually but it doesn't ask for a password. These were ripped from CD's about 8 years ago and I've noticed the last play on one of them was last September.

I will try the tag option tonight when I get home and let you know.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hello again, I tried to see the "Convert ID3 and choose v2.3" option but it wasn't in the right click option. Whereabouts is that option located?

Regards

Squeeam
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM

First go to your preferences and sent your Import Format to MP3
Then the Convert ID3 menu will appear on right click
Click that and a popup will as you about versions and such. Use v2.3

Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

I still can not see this "Convert ID3" menu.
I go to Edit, Preferences, General, Import Settings and change Import Using MP3 Encoder. I am right clicking on everything and there is nothing showing Convert ID3.
I am probably being thick but what am I doing wrong?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 PM

If you don't see Convert ID3 tags, then your songs are not MP3 format, they must be AAC/m4a.

If you double click one of the songs that is skipped, does it play?

If so, then right click the song that skips and choose Get Info. See if the "Skip on Shuffle" option is turned on (assuming you are using shuffle to play) and turn it off.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Veteran Lounger

In iTunes 11 the "Convert ID3 tags" option only appears in Music - Songs or Playlist views. It doesn't appear to show in Artist, Album or Genre views.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: iTunes skips songs

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.