Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes music greyed out

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes music greyed out

I am currently using iCloud and iTunes v11.0.1(12) with OSX v10.6.8. I have found that a large number of albums (probably 75%) are grayed out in iTunes on my Mac desktop. I can select the songs to play manually one by one but cannot get them to play two or threes songs in a row from an album. Also once they are played they still remain greyed out.

Although I have not checked every one of the albums that are grayed out, it appears that a great number of the grayed out songs are accessible and playable on my iPad.

I have tried updating Match, I have turned off Match and turned it back on. I have deauthorized and reauthorized the computer. I have reinstalled the same version of iTunes.

I spent a good 2-3 hours googling the problem and an finding a large number of people are having this problem as well but the solutions are all over the board and so far none seem to work for me.

Tired of banging my head against the wall so I have come hoping t find some help!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM

I am not the expert on this. The only article on this I can find is iTunes Store: Troubleshooting iTunes Match

It sounds like you are in the Song List view.
Do you have the iCloud Download and iCloud Status indicators turned on?

With the iCloud Download you can download a copy of the song from the cloud to your computer.
It sounds like your music is in the cloud and not on your Mac. Perhaps if you downloaded a few tracks using the iCloud Download option you would have the tracks you want locally.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks cjm for your reply.

I have to say that I am so confused with the new iTunes v11. I have always found iTunes to be really cumbersome and not very user friendly but now it much worse.

Okay, let me say that the music that will not play on my Mac originated on my Mac and was then uploaded to iCloud as well. The music still remains in my Mac iTunes media directory, it just will not play.

I have gone over the iTunes Match troubleshooting recommendations and the problem still remains.

So, here is the latest. I added an album with 12 songs into my Mac iTunes. Out of the 12 songs, 3 are in the cloud and will play on any iDevice as well as on my Mac using iTunes. The other 9 songs, although they are on my hard drive in the iTunes folder, they are greyed out on my Mac and do not appear in the Cloud on my iDevices.

When I look at these songs in iTunes Song List view, the 3 songs that are playable on my Mac and through the Cloud are marked "uploaded" in the iCloud status column. They also have a check mark next to them.

The 9 that will not play through iTunes show "matched" and have no check mark.
There is no icon in the iCloud Download column for these songs.

I just went back in and checked the songs and they are now all available to play through iTunes on my Mac however the 9 songs that were not in the cloud are still not there.

So I guess I need to know how to change them from "matched" to uploaded?

Last edited by Buster's Mom; 12-30-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Unfortunately you have absolutely no control over the songs that iTunes Match uploads or matches with your account, the process is all automatic. What happens when you disable iTunes Match all together? Are the songs still grayed out? I know this problem existed long before iTunes Match as I have experienced it before on my Windows XP system back around 2005 (and a few intermittent times after that). iTunes Match might be making it even more complex but the problem is likely to do with iTunes and a corruption in your library rather than iTunes Match.

I suggest turning off iTunes Match, removing the problematic songs from your iTunes library (but keeping them on your computer), and then re-adding them.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

I wanted to follow up on this thread. I have found the resolution to the problem!

It was all due to the check marks. When reviewing my sings in iTunes Song View I realized that all the songs that were actually able to be played through iTunes desktop were the songs that had checked next to them. I went ahead and checked the entire collection and bingo! No more greyed out songs.

Everything plays nice again.

I thank you very much for both your efforts to help me and hope that someone else can work through the same problem with what worked for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

I figured it out!

Hey, I was having the same issue with iTunes 11.0.4.
The songs I dragged from my computer to iTunes had a checkmark next to them, but were greyed out and had a weird circle next to the song name.

The problem was I was trying to drag songs from my computer directly to my iphone's music section. So I deleted the greyed out songs.

THE FIX:
I dragged the songs from my computer my itunes music library section - AND THEN FROM THERE - dragged those songs to the "iPhone" button in the top right corner, the songs copied to my phone perfectly!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you! I thought I was taking crazy pills. I've been a Mac user for years and simply could not figure out what was going on. I haven't used song view in such a long time, I just didn't realize that they were checked.

Topic: iTunes music greyed out

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.