iTunes 11: tips and tricks - Page 4 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 11: tips and tricks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

160 Problems with new iTunes

Cannot get my 160 gig classic to sync with iTunes 11. Don't even know how to do it.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Or how do I go back to the previous version of iTunes?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reched View Post
Or how do I go back to the previous version of iTunes?
You uninstall iTunes 11, you install iTunes 10.7 & make sure you point it to the .itl file located in the previous versions directory that iTunes 11 created when you installed it. Keep in mind, any changes you've made to your library since updating will have to re-done.

If you didn't keep an older install, grab it off of filehippo: Download iTunes 10.7 (64-bit) - Change Log - FileHippo.com for 64 bit, Download iTunes 10.7 (32-bit) - Change Log - FileHippo.com for 32 bit
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Cannot get my 160 gig classic to sync with iTunes 11. Don't even know how to do it.
Not really sure what you're specifically asking here... It should actually work in mostly the same way that it did in iTunes 10, albeit with some interface changes.

Plug it into your computer, and you should see a button appear in the top-right corner showing your iPod. Click on that and you can access the various sync settings. However, if you're using automatic sync, it should still sync automatically in iTunes 11 as soon as you plug it in.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

The only thing I see are icons for view and edit in the upper right hand corner.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:52 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchali View Post
Anyone know how to refresh the thumbnails? For playlists, grid view, some of the thumbnail artwork is showing up wrong. Songs have been manually tagged with correct artwork but certain songs for some reason do not show the correct artwork. The correct thumbnail shows up in now playing window...

Also just noticed that incorrect thumbnails are also displaying when running a search for artwork that displays just fine in grid view, sigh....
I upgraded to 11.0.1.12 (windows x64), the correct artwork displays when running a search now. But I still have issues with incorrect thumbnails displaying in grid view. I wish they had "set default grid artwork" for iTunes 11. It would solve my issues, I think (if it worked this time).
Old 12-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
The only thing I see are icons for view and edit in the upper right hand corner.
It should be up by the "iTunes Store" button:

If it's not appearing, double-check that your iPod classic is showing up at all in Windows Explorer or Finder. The basic procedure for syncing is no different than it was in previous versions of iTunes -- only the user interface has changed.

In fact, if you turn the sidebar back on from the View menu, you'll get the old "Devices" listing back along with it, and your iPod classic should appear there in much the same way as in prior versions.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 AM

Junior Lounger

I was unable to download new episodes of Podcasts when I upgraded to 11 in Windows 7.

Running iTunes as Administrator fixed the problem.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 AM

Reclined Lounger

There are 2 main questions I have that are currently stopping me from upgrading to 11, any help appreciated-

1 - I use the "Sort Album" field extensively for all my albums, as I have the album release date contained within this tag, e.g. "1963-11-22-With The Beatles". This means that for every artist I can view my albums chronologically, or I can even view my entire library chronologically. I assume that in a simple list view this is unaffected, and I can still see this, and that it will still show these albums chronologically on my iPod when it is sync'd? How does the loss of coverflow work? With the new album cover view, will I be able to show my album covers on screen chronologically still? (As you can maybe tell, chronology is a BIG deal for me!).

2 - A less important point for me, more of an irritation, but I currently have my iPod settings so that any song with a bit rate of more than 256kbps is converted to 256kbps when being transferred to my iPod. This is because some of my library is lossless and would blow my iPods memory if unconverted! The down side to this is that I do not have gapless playback on my iPod for any files that have been converted in this way (I do have gapless for the files I have encoded at 192kbps and therefore are not re-encoded when transferred to the iPod). Just wondering if anyone knows if this bug had been fixed in version 11?

Thanks in advance....

Last.fm Link -->> http://www.last.fm/user/oobujoobu1971

Recently Played Tracks-

Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
Ok after midnight in euroland- have a backup of iTunes 10.7, just backed up my iPhone 4 through iTunes AND the cloud. Will back up my library tomorrow and ONLY THEN install iTunes 11.

Thought to start a thread to deal with bugs and issues, new features, figuring out if old features are hidden or gone for good (like iTunes dj and coverflow not a biggie for me but...).

Have read on other forums some old features are turned off by default and you have to dig a bit to get them back (status bar, list view). Most worrying, one fellow claimed smartplaylists depending on playcount and last played are broken unless you turn off crossfade??? WTF??? I asked others there to confirm-and will check myself tomorrow and this weekend.

So hopefully some of you vets can contribute and we can get a bunch of good info together for the noobs.
iTunes 11: Turning off crossfade allows the songs 'plays' and 'last played' variables to be updated, at least so far. I hate iTunes 11. Does anyone know how to get back 'List Duplicates' option that was in iTunes 10?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM

The iTunes 11.0.1 update has added the Show Duplicates option back. It can be found under the View menu.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
1- Looked all over and can't find it either. That was useful once in awhile, so hopefully its just hidden somewhere.

2- No not seeing that, but I'm only running 11 on a limited library on my test PC so I may not have any albums tagged either way.
Answer to #1. I was using iTunes 10 when I mistakenly updated to 11. Big mistake. Running Windows 7 and was using 'List duplicates' extensively. Now I can't find the option. Called apple support and they said it is not in 11. Also said I could not restore back to iTunes 10. Bummer! Handcuffed. Don't go to 11 just yet.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Hollington View Post
The iTunes 11.0.1 update has added the Show Duplicates option back. It can be found under the View menu.
This also includes the "Show Exact Duplicate Items" if you hold the Shift key before making your selection. The Exact qualifier essentially adds album name and track number to the comparison.

I've always been diligent with making sure I don't have duplicates in my library, but I thought I'd run this just for kicks. Well, it found something interesting ... it is reporting a small number of exact duplicates in my library.

Upon closer review, for some reason iTunes is using iCloud to compare against my local library, and these "duplicates" are not really duplicates at all -- one "copy" is the cloud and the other is my local copy!

While I'm relieved that my library is still clean, I'm curious why iTunes would use the cloud as the basis for comparison. I don't use iTunes Match, and all purchases are on my PC. I can't see what's special about these songs since they do not represent all my purchases. These "duplicates" do appear identical -- no tag differences that I can see except one is in the cloud and one is local.

I turned back on the "Cloud Status" column in my library, so now I see these songs with a cloud symbol, and the local copy right next to them. What's really peculiar is if I select the global "Hide Music in the Cloud" setting, then the "Show Exact Duplicate Items" is a list of individual songs, with no apparent duplicates.

In a way I'm glad that this duplicates utility "found something", I'm curious as to why. Hopefully there's a good explanation, otherwise this utility is not as helpful if I have to weed out "cloud duplicates" which are not really duplicates at all.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinmatten View Post
Answer to #1. I was using iTunes 10 when I mistakenly updated to 11. Big mistake. Running Windows 7 and was using 'List duplicates' extensively. Now I can't find the option. Called apple support and they said it is not in 11. Also said I could not restore back to iTunes 10. Bummer! Handcuffed. Don't go to 11 just yet.
Per the posts above, the Show Duplicates utility is back in version 11.0.1, albeit with some peculiarities (can anything go smoothly with iTunes?!)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
I've always been diligent with making sure I don't have duplicates in my library, but I thought I'd run this just for kicks. Well, it found something interesting ... it is reporting a small number of exact duplicates in my library.
I traced this issue to all my old "Protected AAC" songs in my library. Apparently iTunes thinks my local copies differ in some way from the ones in the cloud, so it shows them as being available to re-download while at the same time showing them as duplicates of what I already have

I re-downloaded a few of these and the new copies came down as the same old 128kbps protected format, which is the same as what I already have. Perhaps if I signed up for Match I'd be eligible to get the non-DRM versions, but that ain't gonna happen, and I'm not motivated to pay for the non-DRM versions of these.

So it seems that this duplicates query does have a problem, as well as the iCloud status of older protected AAC files. Time for an iTunes 11 bug report ...

Topic: iTunes 11: tips and tricks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.