iTunes 11: tips and tricks - Page 3 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 11: tips and tricks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMac1213 View Post
Some of my tracks have lost their play counts since the upgrade to 11. The first time, around 150 tracks were affected. The last played date was still populated, but the play count was reset to null. I recovered a previous itl file from my Time Machine backup and restored the play counts. It happened again today with only one track affected this time.

It seems (so far) to affect only songs purchased from the iTunes Store. So I'm guessing there's something wonky with the increased iCloud integration in iTunes 11. I'm not using iTunes Match, by the way.
Yes, I had the exact same problem after upgrading -- mostly with TV Shows in my case -- and I strongly suspect it's the iCloud syncing that's gone somewhat wonky here. Playback positions seem to sync reasonably well, but played status (play counts and the blue dots) are all over the place in terms of consistency.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 AM

ryanlawrence171
Banned

I just reinstalled OS in my PC with Windows 7 32 Bit. Now iTunes's latest version showing error, 'Your OS is not compatible with this version'. What should i do now?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Is it possible you had the 64-bit version of iTunes installed previously?

Regardless, you should be able to simply uninstall and reinstall iTunes without any issues. None of your data will be touched -- only the application itself is reinstalled.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 AM

Freshman Lounger

I've just updated to iTunes 11; everything seems correct, but when i'm changing music info by right clicking/Get Info/Info tab... nothing changes!! unlike the pervious one...
I thought it was because of read only issues... but it's possible to change the tags, by right clicking on the file in the folder, and choosing properties, going to details tab.
any help would be appriciated
Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchali View Post
Anyone know how to refresh the thumbnails? For playlists, grid view, some of the thumbnail artwork is showing up wrong. Songs have been manually tagged with correct artwork but certain songs for some reason do not show the correct artwork. The correct thumbnail shows up in now playing window...

Also just noticed that incorrect thumbnails are also displaying when running a search for artwork that displays just fine in grid view, sigh....
Tried to solve my issue with this old article deleting the "Cache" folder. No joy, it still is showing incorrect artwork in grid, and on top of that all the playlists I sorted by title (CTRL+J) were no longer sorted by title but returned to default sort by artist, then title, so that setting must be in that cache.... How can I force iTunes 11 to rebuild it's cache if that link did not work? The correct artwork is tagged dunno why it's showing incorrectly in grid.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Unfortunately, it seems that this might be a known bug in iTunes 11.0. The good news, however, is that it appears Apple is already working on an update to fix it.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Freshman Lounger

Does anyone know how to get track names when missing the track titles on albums or has this been removed? Can't find it anywhere.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM

It's been more or less removed from the actual menus -- it was under the now-defunct Advanced menu, but appears either on the right-click context menu for tracks you've already imported, or on the Options menu that appears on the CD import screen.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yeah when I right click on a album that I imported that a while ago there is no get track names. My only gripe with the new version. So far I think its great.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Odd, as it's there for me on all of the tracks I've checked. Make sure you're accessing the actual right-click context menu, and not the quick menu that appears when clicking on the arrow to the right of the track name.

iTunes 11: tips and tricks-itunes-11-get-track-names.png

Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yup thats where I am. Maybe its because its on iCloud?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ah yes it was, I downloaded the album and now I get see it.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM

Yup, that would do it. You can't get track names for items that are only in iCloud, probably because there's no local file for it to analyze.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Senior Lounger

Well having used this for awhile it seems that some small behaviours have changed. Skipping seems to be counted differently. Before I had most of my rotational smartplaylists set up so that if I skipped a song it would drop off since I created a rule "do not play song that was skipped in the last x." Now if I am switching between playlists I would stop the song that was playing (trying to stop it in the beginning as I understood the first 20 seconds don't count) and then start the new one. No problem the song remained at the top of the playlist for when I returned. However now it seems when I did that it counts as a skip and the song would drop off. So I removed this rule and it works as before. Just to clarify, this is on live updating smartplaylists streamed through itunes on my computer at home.

I found a better solution thought, the "up next" feature allows me when I want a song on a playlist to be the last and to end it there by clearing the queue of upcoming songs so i can then use my remote to change to the new playlist. Excellent!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

thanks for the tips!

Topic: iTunes 11: tips and tricks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.