iTunes 11: tips and tricks - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 11: tips and tricks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
... I've never nor ever will use crossfade, which seems to have caused problems for some with playcounts with the new version.
I played around with crossfade (though I don't use it either) and see no adverse affect on playcount or last played date. In another thread, "Next Up" was blamed similarly and Clearing that seemed to help, but I don't see any problem with Next Up with regards to playcount or last played.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
I played around with crossfade (though I don't use it either) and see no adverse affect on playcount or last played date. In another thread, "Next Up" was blamed similarly and Clearing that seemed to help, but I don't see any problem with Next Up with regards to playcount or last played.
Unfortunately, it's never clear until you reach critical mass of reports or find a trustworthy source how many "problems" are related to the new iTunes, incredibly bad luck, or just plain PEBCAK. I'd seen enough early reports about cross fade I figured it was worth mentioning as a possible source for any reports about smartlists not working.

Everything I've tried has worked other than the usual no live updating on device. Doesn't mean they didn't break something, just means I haven't found it yet.

I'm kind of surprised there was no overhaul to smartlists given the mediocre half support they get from Apple's cloud iTunes, that's what I was expecting with their talk of improving the playlist management. Turns out their idea of improving it was to move it to a new tab and then create the new side bar for adding to a playlist. Not very significant at all.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Veteran Lounger

And, in case you were wondering, iTunes 11 is still every bit as bad at handling Genius information for songs it can't distinguish because it holds them different yet the same simultaneously (e.g. Anthology and regular album versions of Beatles songs) and so will keep syncing the exact same Genius data over to your device every single time you sync taking as much time to do this unnecessary task as the rest of the sync involves.

It's time they just removed this failed experiment Jobs came up with and never followed through on, or at least gave us the option to flat out hide it on our devices because I simply cannot use it even if I wanted to (which, fortunately, I don't really because the feature is still terrible, I just keep wishing it would actually work since Apple insists I have a giant atom symbol above my cover art even though Genius is turned off because they can't figure out how to do something as simple as figure out how to create a Genius index of your library using unique IDs for each track, you know, like the entire rest of iTunes does )
Old 12-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

I can't seem to find a way to list albums by artist / by year any more. Which really irritates me!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Select "Songs" then tap on the Album header until it sorts how you want it.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks - I was talking about when you're in the music section though. I really like the layout of this but when you click on an individual artist it lists the albums alphabetically. I don't know of any music fan that prefers their artist's albums listed this way rather than chronologically.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaron View Post
Thanks - I was talking about when you're in the music section though. I really like the layout of this but when you click on an individual artist it lists the albums alphabetically. I don't know of any music fan that prefers their artist's albums listed this way rather than chronologically.
First Ctrl-B to bring up the file menu, then look under View-> Viewing Options (or just use Ctrl-J). You need to do this for each of the sub categories under music. Ridiculously arcane, but the option is there.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Senior Lounger

Well I've installed it and my initial impressions are favourable. Really like the new UI, don't miss the things most in cyberspace are complaining about (coverflow and itunes DJ), really like the "Up Next" feature.

My major issue has to do with the remote app and itunes. Overall much improved but it seems there is a sync problem which was not as pronounced before. It seems to take awhile to refresh whatever is playing on my iphone screen. Also, previously if I switched from one playlist to another (or album) it would be reflected on the other side-if I change in remote the playlist would appear in the itunes window and vice-versa. Now that is no longer the case. If I start on one playlist in remote then switch in itunes to another-the currently playing song is from the new playlist, though it takes a few seconds to refresh however the back arrow goes back to the previous playlist not the current one. More of an irritation than a major issue.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Senior Lounger

iTunes 11 HORRIBLE for syncing iPad

This is just unacceptable!

Overall, I got used to the new layouts pretty quickly, and I actually like it better.

However, trying to sync my 64GB iPad 3rd gen is ridiculous! It is EXTREMELY SLOW on the iPad screen when choosing what to sync. If you try to scroll, it scrolls about 1 line every 5 seconds! Copying track is the same, about 1 every 5 seconds, and forget about when it gets to the part when copying the genius information. Again, it copies 1 item every 5 seconds.

I have no problems syncing iPods (Nano 7th gen 16gb and touch 4th gen 64GB)

They need to fix the iPad syncing problems.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

Phew - just restored iTunes 10.7.

I really don't understand how apple fail to get this right. It's not super hard to create a programme that is able to be customised enough to suit 'casual' users and 'super' users. Not that Gapless playback, being able to quickly see data like bit rate, file size, skip count etc AND see some actual artwork at the same time should be the preserve of super users.

I'm going to download it on my Macbook air instead with a limited library and see if I can get comfortable with it, and wait for someone to discover workarounds etc, but at the moment I do not see it as progression at all....

Orb.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
First Ctrl-B to bring up the file menu, then look under View-> Viewing Options (or just use Ctrl-J). You need to do this for each of the sub categories under music. Ridiculously arcane, but the option is there.
Thanks a million!! That's much better, seems daft they've hidden the option away like that but at least it's there.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Junior Lounger

I just went back to 10.6. I think this iteration of iTunes really is brilliant if you spend all of your time on the music page. But I spend 95% of my time elsewhere, and until we can get an artwork + list view, and the ability to have more choice and customization for the grid views then it's really no use to me. I only listen to randomised playlists so I don't use Up Next or want any part of the cloud, therefore for me, nothing has been added. Options have only been taken away.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM

Senior Lounger

@sontaron: Well, I'm a music fan with over 140,000 tracks. I've been collecting music, everything from Bach to Iron Maiden, for nearly 30 years. I prefer my artist's albums in alphabetical order. I have no idea what sequence Blue Oyster Cult released their albums in, but I do know their titles.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM

Senior Lounger

Anyone know how to refresh the thumbnails? For playlists, grid view, some of the thumbnail artwork is showing up wrong. Songs have been manually tagged with correct artwork but certain songs for some reason do not show the correct artwork. The correct thumbnail shows up in now playing window...

Also just noticed that incorrect thumbnails are also displaying when running a search for artwork that displays just fine in grid view, sigh....

Last edited by manchali; 12-02-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Reclined Lounger

I haven't seen this issue mentioned yet and am wondering if anyone else is affected:

Some of my tracks have lost their play counts since the upgrade to 11. The first time, around 150 tracks were affected. The last played date was still populated, but the play count was reset to null. I recovered a previous itl file from my Time Machine backup and restored the play counts. It happened again today with only one track affected this time.

It seems (so far) to affect only songs purchased from the iTunes Store. So I'm guessing there's something wonky with the increased iCloud integration in iTunes 11. I'm not using iTunes Match, by the way.

Topic: iTunes 11: tips and tricks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.