Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to transfer my playlists from iPod Touch to iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

How to transfer my playlists from iPod Touch to iTunes

Hi, I quickly went through the forum and found no exact match of my problem.

Here's the thing: I add music to my iPod Touch manually through iTunes - I have an old windows xp and a newer windows 7 both with iTunes installed - Media library folder of both pointing to the same external drive where all my music tracks are currently held. The contents of the iTunes libraries on both my PCs is more or less the same, since I dragged-dropped everything from my external drive to both iTunes libraries.

Now problem is that on my windows xp, over time I have created some 30 playlists and I want to recreate them to my iTunes library on my windows 7 - which I use now much more often than the windows xp. I have all the 30 playlists also loaded on my iPod Touch. Is there an easy way to move the playlists from the iPod to my windows 7 iTunes library?

Again, I only need to move the playlists and not the actual tracks, as the music is already loaded in my iTunes on my windows 7 and I do not want to create duplicate tracks.

Thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM

I don't think you can do that. Playlists created on the device stay on the device.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 AM

Senior Lounger

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG_fan View Post
Again, I only need to move the playlists and not the actual tracks

There is indeed an answer to a similar question already on this thread:

http://forums.ilounge.com/windows-ip...to-itunes.html
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronZ View Post
There is indeed an answer to a similar question already on this thread:
Just wanted to say a big thank you for this.

The problem described there is close enough to mine so that the solution worked for me and my playlists transferred from my iPod to my new iTunes. I was able to follow the advice by scottw and Adam from the thread you linked.

Here is a recap of how I was able to sort it out according to the advice given:

1. Ran the copytrans program on my computer
2. connected my iPod and let the copy tool transfer what was needed from my iPod to my Win7 iTunes
3. The effect was nifty with just my playlists being restored to my new iTunes library and no tracks being duplicated
Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

First of all pls make sure that ur iTunes is set to manually manage music. Then do it as the following dteps:
1.Connect iPod to computer, go to my computer n double click iPod drive, choose "tools" --> “Folder Options”--> “View” --> select “Show Hidden Files & Folders”and click “OK”
2.now right click “iPod Control” folder--> select “Properties”--> un-select “Hidden” and click “OK” --> select “Apply Changes To This Folder, Subfolder And Files” and click “OK” .
3.Next, click “iPod Control” folder and open “Music” , did u see folders labeled F00, F01, F02, F03…? Now Place iTunes side by side w/ this window and make sure that “Music Library” is displayed.
4.In iTunes select “Edit” --> Preferences-->Advanced, and put a check next to: “Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized” &”Copy Files To iTunes Music Folder When Adding To Library”, click “OK”.
5.Last step, just drag and drop all of the “F” folders into “Music Library” of itunes.
Done!
This might be a little complicated but it definitely works well, and it’s totally free, better than u get aipod transfer or sth like that. It works for both pc and mac users.

Last edited by gigiwill; 06-28-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 AM

GiGi,
That is how you get the Music off of a non-IOS iPod. The OP has an iPod Touch (IOS), and wanted the playlists not the Music.

So your answer did not help. The software (CopyTrans, or other like software) did the job.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Not sure if this helps anyone, but if it does, it's a much simpler solution. I wanted to make a playlist in iTunes of the music on my old iPod that had songs encoded at 128k. Since iTunes now allows you to select the bit rate of higher bit rate songs when they are copied (and most of my music is imported at lossless), I wanted to keep the same songs and update the bitrate to 256K. Of course, just selecting 256k on the iPod main screen and hitting update didn't do anything, so I tried to drag the iPod music folder to a playlist in iTunes, but that didn't work, and neither did anything else I tried. Then I right-clicked on the iPod music folder to see the "Export" option. I saved the resulting file on the desktop, and re-imported it FILE/LIBRARY/IMPORT PLAYLIST, and guess what? New playlist with the songs in iTunes that I could then drag back to the iPod after deleting the existing 128k files, and everything was updated to 256k. Took about 10 seconds (not including recopying). You can also export a playlist from the iPod the same way. Plus you can highlight songs in the Music section of the iPod, and click on the + symbol at the bottom of the sidebar, and select "New Playlist from Selection" to make a new playlist of the selected songs on the iPod. This all assumes you have the sidebar turned on.

Topic: How to transfer my playlists from iPod Touch to iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.