Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: audio books vs books

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face audio books vs books

I have audio books mixed within the music folder.
Besides I have some audio books, great speeches, in the book folder. my problem is that I don't know how to organize these into the correct folders.
Also, the folder "audio books" does not show in the left side band of the library I would appreciate some help. Thank you.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM

The organization of these is dependent on the Media Type flag or file extension. Using the file extension is the "old way" so most people ignore it now.

You can select 1 or more tracks that you think should be "audio books" (Ctrl-Click many tracks, or click first track, Shift-Click last track) and once you have them selected, you can right click one of the selected tracks and choose Get Info. In the Options tab, you should see Media Type (could be Media Kind, I don't have iTunes in front of me now) and you can change the type from Music to Audiobook, click OK and they all disappear from your Music section.

Further organization should be handled automatically by Author & Book Name assuming iTunes is managing your library. If you want the books separated from each other, you can't really do that in iTunes other than through playlists. I posted something on this earlier: Sync audiobook position between devices?

You can see the audiobooks by enabling the Books folder within iTunes. Edit->Preferences, General Tab, put a checkmark next to Books, then click OK. Now you should have a Books section of iTunes. Click on that and your audiobooks will be there. That folder is used for both audiobooks and books you read on IOS devices.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: audio books vs books

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.