Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: podcasts gone after migrating to new computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

podcasts gone after migrating to new computer

I have transferred to a new computer, the songs and podcasts are in EXT D:/ (which is set as the default) and I have managed to get my songs but podcasts seem to have disappeared. All the folders are there but they are empty. I know the files are there on my D drive and they were all listed (and worked) on my previous iTunes on my old computer.

Can anybody help me out of this? Thanks so much for your help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM

As stated in your other post, resubscribe to the podcasts.

Since you don't have any legacy ones, your life is easier in this post than your other one.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
As stated in your other post, resubscribe to the podcasts.

Since you don't have any legacy ones, your life is easier in this post than your other one.
I'm not sure what you are referring to by "legacy ones", if you mean older podcasts, that is my problem as they have disappeared and I can't find them.

I have re-established the links to D/iTunes Music so that the music is there, however I don't understand where the podcasts have gone (they were in D as well)If I go through Windows Explorer to D/iTunes Music/podcasts - they are gone!!...and yet they were there when I last opened my OLD iTunes on my OLD computer. How can they not be found in D/ when I plug D/ into the new computer? It is the same External HD and I didn't delete the podcasts from D.

Where are they? I thought the files would still be there and I could click them from Windows Explorer and they would re-appear in iTunes, but I can't even see them in D/iTunes Music/podcasts (the place they were before the move)

There also seems to be some music missing. eg. I only have two albums from a particular artist when I know I had 4 or 5. If I go through Windows Explorer to the relevant file they are simply not there, as with the missing podcasts.

Very disconcerting :-(
Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 PM

Sounds like either an incomplete copy or the files were on the C drive of your old computer.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Sounds like either an incomplete copy or the files were on the C drive of your old computer.
The podcasts were definitely on the D. I probably misunderstood your earlier post, but I thought maybe you meant the podcasts don't transfer into the corresponding podcast category in the new iTunes when you migrate the files and instead they revert to the general music category, so I did a search but they're not there either. It can't be due to an incomplete copy of the drive because it's the same drive (D) and I haven't copied it anywhere, just plugged the ext HD into the new computer and am reading it through the new iTunes.

They must be SOMEWHERE, but where?

I remember when I went to edit/pref/advanced and changed the itunes media folder location from C to D in my new iTunes yesterday, after it had finished a dialogue box came asking "Do you want to..." and I can't remember what it was but I was unsure as to what it implied and so erred on the side of caution and said "no" (I probably should have said "yes" -- if I only knew what the hell I was doing!!) You probably would know what that was about, should I have said "yes" and could that have something to do with my missing podcasts?

As for the missing ALBUMS, they COULD have been due to an incomplete copy of C/iTunes Music...though I only had about 2% of my music in there (98% was/is in D/iTunes Music!) so I'd be surprised if that was the case.

I consolidated that 2% on the new C/iTunes Music to the D, searched D again in vain for the missing albums. Next i will go back to the old computer's C:/iTunes Music to check.

But the missing podcasts that are supposed to be on D, that is mystifying! I had about a hundred "keepers" stored there, including videos which would take hours to re-download.

Are you saying that iTunes treats everything in the "podcast" category as ephemeral junk and just trashes it when you migrate to a new computer??

Incidently, all my audiobooks disappeared as well, but I found them under "Music" and could re-categorize them back to "Audiobooks"...that's why I searched for the podcasts in music, because I thought it would be the same deal...apparently not :-(

Thanks, btw, for persevering with me this far, you have much patience :-)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM

When I transferred my library, my old podcasts were retained. But I also did not have to load my files into a new library as I was able to retain my library from my old XP Tower to my Vista Laptop.

Loading all the files in, or Consolidation could have moved them into music, with the Artist as Unknown and Album as the Podcast subscription name.

I would look in the Unknown artist folder to see if your missing podcasts and songs are there. The other possible place to look is in the Compilation folder.

Topic: podcasts gone after migrating to new computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.