Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Several Devices, One Computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Junior Lounger

Question Several Devices, One Computer

After saving for a while, my daughter finally purchased an iPod Touch. My wife is about to get her very 1st iPhone, and I have an iPhone 4s, iPad 2, and an older iPod Nano. -- We all share the same computer -- a stinking PC.

Now I have iTunes on my user all set up the way I want it. My wife has just been logging on to my user on the computer and syncing and purchasing things to her ipod nano through my iTunes account. But now that my daughter has a device and my wife is about to have a serious Apple device, how can we keep things separate??

The thing is, if they launch iTunes on their user on the computer, there will be NONE of the apps or music that I have on my user on the same computer... Am I making sense???

Do I let each person use my iTunes account on their user, or can I set up a different iTunes account for each person and yet still share content between iTunes libraries on the same computer?

Thanks for your input!
iTron

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 PM

There are a few things you can do.

1. Setup different iTunes libraries. This means that you will have to hold down the control (or maybe alt) key when double-clicking on the iTunes icon on your desktop. This will allow you to select whatever iTunes library you want to boot with. It is cumbersome and I don't really recommend it simply because you have to remember to hold down a certain key every single time you start iTunes. About the only upside to this method is that you will only need one copy of each app, music, movie, TV show, etc. file.

2. Just sync the iDevices using different playlists. Combine all of the content into one iTunes library (as-is now). Just have everyone create their own playlists for music and then instruct iTunes to only sync certain apps, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audio playlists over. This process is a lot easier but things can become a mess especially when you start flipping through your iPhone and come across a Jonas Brothers song (or whatever).

3. Create different Windows user accounts for everyone. This is beneficial as everything will be separated so that content for each user will not be blended. Furthermore, you can share content across different Windows users. All you have to do is open up iTunes (iTunes will think it is a whole new computer) and authorize that "computer" to play content that you purchase off of the iTunes Store. From there you can either re-download the content from the iTunes Store or simply copy it from your default user folder. The only downside to this is that you will have multiple copies of everything. So, if you download a 4.5GB HD movie from the iTunes Store, it will actually take up a total of 13.5GB on your computer if you have it in all three accounts. This really is the best method for keeping everything separate while still allowing you to share content across multiple iDevices.

Unfortunately there isn't a single, perfect solution out there. They all have their drawbacks and strengths. Personally, I would just go with option #3. It stops everyone's media from getting tangled up and it ensures that anything you want to share will get shared while all the other content won't.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 AM

Junior Lounger

Hmm..

Ok I'll go with option #3.

Now do I set each user up with their own iTunes account or just let them all use my account??
Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 AM

That is solely up to you. Personally, I would give them each their own account. That way things like FaceTime don't become a problem. For example, if you used the same Apple ID for everything, a friend could be trying to contact your daughter via FaceTime or even the Messaging app on the iPod touch. That video call (or free text message) would go to everyone's iDevice that is associated with that Apple ID. I think it is best just to keep things separate. You can even a lot certain allowances towards your daughter's Apple ID so that she can make purchases of her own but won't be able to after her allowance is gone.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Junior Lounger

K cool -- that's what I was wondering-- thanks!!

Topic: Several Devices, One Computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.