Sort "Various" songs by Artist

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Steveromo

I have many songs that I've tagged as "part of compilation" and labelled their album as "Various 60's" Various 70's" and so on. While they DO display as a group in my library, they are in alphabetical order by song title. I want them listed in alphabetical order by ARTIST. The reason is that, while many are one-hit-wonders, there are many artsist who have 2, 3 or 4 songs. I want those to be grouped together. I've strpped all track numbers and other tag info. I've tried to use the word "Various" in all combos of sort fields, but they always sort by title. I could "cheat" by retyping the artist in the title field and vica-versa but that would take hours! Is there any way to do this? Thanks!

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
A couple variations you can try:

1- Use something like "Various Artists" in each song's Album Artist field -- this can be done on a large group of songs at once. Then sort your library as "Album by Artist" ... click on the Album header and you see how it changes?

2- You may have to populate Album Artist with the actual Artist's name rather than Various Artists, then sort your library by Album name. This is a lot more work, and the rest of your library is sorted by Album name rather than Artist 1st then by Album name.

Steveromo

Thanks for the reply. I tried your first suggestion (the second would be too time consuming.) Oddly, the songs wind up in psuedo-alphabetical order by artist. Groups of 15-20 songs are alphabetical by artist, then start over. These groups MAY represent the CD from which I ripped them. But since ripping, I have selected ALL and stripped all the info and re-labelled ALL songs' album and album artist as "Various 60's, 70's, etc" (I also tried almost every other field except artist and title.) No luck! Thanks for trying! I appreciate your suggestions!