Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes on external hard drive

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes on external hard drive

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, however I could not find a post that was up to date, or covered my query completely.

By the way, I am a complete novice when it comes to iTunes and computers generally, so please be gentle!

I have an old laptop (PC) with not much storage space. I have gone through the process of 'ripping' all my CDs to an external hard drive, which I have backed up on a 2nd external hard drive. I have now bought myself an iPod to store all my music on so I can carry all my music with me and play on iPod docks etc.

I understand that I have to use iTunes to transfer music to the iPod, and was wondering if someone could provide me with clear and simple instructions as to how I do this, bearing in mind my music files are all on external hard drive. Alternatively - will I be ok just to follow the installation instructions when installing iTunes?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 AM

The process is pretty straightforward. Make sure your external hard dive is recognized by your computer, install iTunes, tell it that your library location is on your external hard drive (if you haven't already done this), and then plug your iPod into your computer. Just keep in mind that with your library on an external hard drive, it will always need to be connected to your computer before you open iTunes. Otherwise it will revert back to its default settings for library location.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you. I will give it a go over the next week or so. May need to post further questions depending how I get on!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

how did the process go?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

Fine thanks. It took a while to get everything in order, and just how I like it, but it is worth the hassle! Thanks for your help.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Topic: iTunes on external hard drive

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.