Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Question: My itunes files were deleted and now I can't sync music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question: My itunes files were deleted and now I can't sync music

Hey guys, I tried searching for this before posting but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, I was on my computer last night on itunes and everything was working fine. I went to bed and woke up to a totally empty itunes, I had a ton of songs in my library and their all gone, I had mutliple playlists and their all gone. I'm pretty sure this was a problem with my computer and not itunes because another program I have that I used a lot didn't recognize me and I had to register again with that.

Anyway, I don't mind losing all the data in my library but now it has a problem synching. Its fine when I try to add photos to my iphone or anything else but whenever I try to transfer music (specifially getting voice memos off my iphone and onto my itunes) it says that my iphone is synched to another library and it asks if I want to erase it and sync with this itunes library.

Can anyone help me here? All I need is to get my voice memos from my phone to my itunes, there really important I need them for work and can't risk them getting deleted.

Thanks for the help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:08 PM

That depends on a lot of things.

1. Where were your iTunes files (external or internal drive)?
2. Have you looked where the files should be and see if anything remains (default location is C:\Documents and Settings\<login>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes in XP, and C:\Users\<login>\Music\iTunes in Win7)?
3. Do you have an idea what may have caused the disappearance (Hard drive failure - check System event log, Different login account - logoff and log in as normal user, other?)
4. What OS are you on?
5. Which iTunes version?
6. Please tell me you have a backup.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

I just tried to restore but it says "itunes could not restore the iphone because a session could not be started with the iphone."

I backed it up just a few days before this happened so I'm good there.

I have windows 7 and in the itunes folder theres a bunch of iT files they go all the way up to 102 then theres the Extras, Genius and Library files.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Not restore your iPhone. Restore your backup of your iTunes folder and files.

Once you get your iTunes running again, then you can sync your iPhone.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 PM

Veteran Lounger

in the itunes folder theres a bunch of iT files they go all the way up to 102 then theres the Extras, Genius and Library files

Those are p'bly "temp" files of either the iTunes Library.itl or iTunes Library.xml files; they indicate that something is preventing iTunes from quickly re-writing those files when it needs to. Most likely your anti-virus software is behind this -- tell it to exclude iTunes and things should get better.

Topic: Question: My itunes files were deleted and now I can't sync music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.