Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Don't want to sync Podcasts, but want to keep on iPod Touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 AM

Junior Lounger

Don't want to sync Podcasts, but want to keep on iPod Touch

In iTunes, I'm subscribed to quite a few podcasts. Often, I want to sync my iPod Touch notes, contacts, and calendar with Outlook, but I don't have time for the podcasts to sync. Is there a way to suspend the podcast syncing? Currently, if I uncheck boxes for syncing, the podcasts disappear from the iPod Touch. Then it takes forever to sync when I do have the opportunity.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 AM

Veteran Lounger

Plan better? I don't know what to tell you. It doesn't take me more than 5 minutes to sync everything, and that's podcasts, apps, music, videos, etc.. I subscribe to nearly 20 podcasts, 6 are exclusively video based, and 2 are sometimes video based. If I somehow had a perfect storm where every single podcast had a new episode out at once, they would still all total up to less a GB, which any touch ought to be able to sync in a couple of minutes - so just how many podcasts are you subscribing to that you surely must be getting more than 5 GB in new episodes every few hours such that it's interfering with your ability sync contacts?

Anyhow, the only way to avoid syncing is to not use the automatic syncing for podcasts. Right under the checkmark for "Sync Podcasts" is the automatically sync... checkbox. Don't check that and then you will have to manually tell iTunes which episodes to put on and which ones to take off via checking and unchecking them from this management tab.

EDIT: Actually busted out the stopwatch. From the time I hit sync until the time I was informed the sync was complete, it was less than 1:40 to update all my automated categories (including a number of video podcasts this time). That's certainly less time than it takes to go get a cup of coffee or use the bathroom so I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around how it's the podcasts that are killing your sync time or how you can't figure out how to make allowances for this. The single biggest time sink in the sync process is the back up and readying the device phase, that was 50 seconds of that 1:40, contacts, apps, photos, and media combined took up the same amount of time as the backup.

Last edited by Code Monkey; 07-03-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Junior Lounger

Yes, I agree. Any design problem can be worked around, so "better planning" is certainly a solution, along with the requisite time. At some point, though, it becomes not worthwhile in terms of the added functionality for added time. That's why I ended up simply turning off syncing. My priority is working information, not entertainment. A system that requires 5 minutes to accomplish what should be done in seconds simply because it insists on carrying along the huge unwanted payload of media is, well, it seems more geared for entertainment. I want to put those minutes to better use than working around an unnecessary bottleneck.

Conceptually, the solution can't be simpler -- just leave the media on the device alone until media syncing is requested. In fact, I don't understand why it was implemented in any other way. In terms of complexity, it doesn't seem like it should take much to leave the media until the next requested synchronization.

I agree that the "Automatically include" button provides an alternative, but the ideal (and simple) solution is to simply leave the media alone without requiring that the user engage in all sorts of micromanaging of episodes. The idea is to save time, and micromanaging should not be necessary in order to achieve what is actually a very simple effect.

Anyway, micromanaging aside, it looks like the only way to synchronize only Outlook data is to do without the media.

P.S. I'm just using your figure of 5 minutes. It will vary, and I don't think the exact number matters. It's more time than I am willing to wait, and overwhelmingly more than I had to wait when I was synchronizing non-media data on Palm type devices. Maybe I'm spoiled that way, and I was hoping that the Apple products would be able to give the same kind of functionality (or, with hope, maybe they /will/ in the near future -- I noticed that I am not the first to mention the undesirability and mysteriousness of nuking all the media content when syncing is disabled).

BTW, it's easy to see how the podcasts take up sync time, the progress bar is right there. All the while it is crawling along, I'm thinking "I don't *want* that, why can't I just get my essential data and go catch the bus". Some of the essential data could include data you acquired right up to the last minute. So to "make allowances" for it, as you put it, is to simply make accommodations for this possibility and not use (i.e. write off) the time that you would normally use productively. Or to dispense with media altogether. Far from ideal operational design, in my view, when the solution is so obvious and so simple.

Last edited by LoungeRat; 07-03-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoungeRat View Post
YConceptually, the solution can't be simpler -- just leave the media on the device alone until media syncing is requested. In fact, I don't understand why it was implemented in any other way.
Because it's an iPod device and they have worked this way, quite literally, since October of 2001 when the first one came out for Mac OS only. Things are *synchronized* with your computer based iTunes library according to automated rules/selection, or they aren't (manual management). Your choice, and I explained how it would be easy to just manually manage your podcasts to only be moved over when you wanted them, but if you want an actual sync then, yes, it will sync each time you sync your device with iTunes (and why anyone would imagine otherwise is the head scratcher for me). And since you have the option of automating only a set number of least recent unwatched episodes, you can't possibly be subscribed to so many podcasts this is the issue you are claiming.

Quote:
P.S. I'm just using your figure of 5 minutes. It will vary, and I don't think the exact number matters.
Actually, it does matter since my measured with a stopwatch time was well under 2 minutes, the 5 minute was thrown out as a safe extreme. When more time is spent in the backup and prepping for sync I have no clue why it's the podcasts you're fixated on.

See, in spite of you thinking you're so special and onto some big flaw, the beauty is that you don't have to micromanage much of anything to get a huge amount of power over moving media on and off of your i-Device. 100% of my music management is automated via smartlists. My audiobooks are handled by smartlists. My podcasts are handled just fine by configurable rules. My video I add/remove via the sync option tab for video content, ditto with my apps. Very, very little micromanagement considering I've got nearly 300 GB of media in all and I'm on a 32GB touch.

I'm also quite positive one of the syncing rules for podcasts would eliminate 99% of your "problem". For example, I only sync the least recent 3 unwatched episodes of my podcasts. If I haven't bothered to watch what's already on my iPod, even if 20 billion new episodes came out since my last sync, not one of them is going to be moved to my iPod.

Quote:
It's more time than I am willing to wait, and overwhelmingly more than I had to wait when I was synchronizing non-media data on Palm type devices. Maybe I'm spoiled that way, and I was hoping that the Apple products would be able to give the same kind of functionality (or, with hope, maybe they /will/ in the near future -- I noticed that I am not the first to mention the undesirability and mysteriousness of nuking all the media content when syncing is disabled).
See my join date? June 2004. People were complaining about this back then, people will be complaining about it when we no longer have to even have a home computer and can just sync everything from a cloud based iTunes service in five years. You *synchronize* or you don't. If you don't want to synchronize, you move the files on and off as you deem appropriate.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Because it's an iPod device and they have worked this way, quite literally, since October of 2001 when the first one came out for Mac OS only.
So the logic behind it is that it was initially done that way, and there will be no change? That doesn't sound to me like a recipe for continuous improvement.

Quote:
Things are *synchronized* with your computer based iTunes library according to automated rules/selection, or they aren't (manual management).
What that sentence does not say is that disabling synchronization doesn't just mean cessation of updates between iTunes and the device. It wipes the media from your device. It doesn't sound so innocuous when you describe the whole picture. Please don't try to obscure the problem.

Quote:
Your choice, and I explained how it would be easy to just manually manage your podcasts to only be moved over when you wanted them, but if you want an actual sync then, yes, it will sync each time you sync your device with iTunes (and why anyone would imagine otherwise is the head scratcher for me).
As I said (I know I'm repeating myself), any problem can be worked around, but at some point, it becomes not worthwhile. You have to be open minded enough to acknowledge a problem and an improvement that can be made rather than just dismissing it as just another special case complaint.

Quote:
And since you have the option of automating only a set number of least recent unwatched episodes, you can't possibly be subscribed to so many podcasts this is the issue you are claiming.
Considering the acrimonious tone that this thread has taken, I don't feel the need to correct you on your assumptions about my usage, or elaborate on it any further.

Quote:
See, in spite of you thinking you're so special and onto some big flaw
This is exactly the close mindedness I mean. I don't share your view on what is sensible functionality, and so I think I'm special? Come on, get with the program. You say people have always complained about this. That should say something right there. Rather than engaging in derision, why not acknowledge a valid identification of nonideal operational behaviour that can be improved upon?

If you can't do that, take a breather and come back when you can.

Quote:
the beauty is that you don't have to micromanage much of anything to get a huge amount of power over moving media on and off of your i-Device. 100% of my music management is automated via smartlists. My audiobooks are handled by smartlists. My podcasts are handled just fine by configurable rules. My video I add/remove via the sync option tab for video content, ditto with my apps. Very, very little micromanagement considering I've got nearly 300 GB of media in all and I'm on a 32GB touch.

I'm also quite positive one of the syncing rules for podcasts would eliminate 99% of your "problem". For example, I only sync the least recent 3 unwatched episodes of my podcasts. If I haven't bothered to watch what's already on my iPod, even if 20 billion new episodes came out since my last sync, not one of them is going to be moved to my iPod.

See my join date? June 2004. People were complaining about this back then, people will be complaining about it when we no longer have to even have a home computer and can just sync everything from a cloud based iTunes service in five years. You *synchronize* or you don't. If you don't want to synchronize, you move the files on and off as you deem appropriate.
I think I've already made my point about the shrill and unconstructive tone that this thread has taken, as well as the usage assumptions you make, which I won't respond to. My point was quite simple, and remains simple (and shared by many through the ages, if I understand correctly). It shouldn't take a whole lot of figuring out to accomplish something simple like not deleting media on the device simply because one chooses not to synchronize media. The simplicity of this is in no way affected by the fact that sync disabling traditionally wipes the media from the device. A single switch is all that is needed in order to avoid upsetting users who expect the traditional behaviour (assuming that most people want the traditional behaviour).

If you find this idea to be offensive, well, what can I say. Perhaps a short walk might help.

Topic: Don't want to sync Podcasts, but want to keep on iPod Touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.