Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Help with transferring music from Mac formatted iPod to PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

Help with transferring music from Mac formatted iPod to PC

Hi guys,

I need a little help and advice please.

I have tried to sync my ipod with my new pc but as I suspected its a no go as i have always run my ipod from the itunes on my old mac!

I have thousands of songs that I have added over the years from my cd's etc and to be honest do not fancy the long boring process of manually doing this again. So I am hoping there is a way that I can copy my music onto the pc and then re-format the ipod for windows and then move the music back onto the ipod via itunes?!

I have tried searching the internet for this and have found a fair bit of info but its a bit confusing!

There have been a lot of people mentioning software called MacDrive and my understanding is I can use this to ensure my Mac formatted iPod is viewable from my PC and then use a 3rd party software to copy my music from my iPod to my PC.

Is this quite a straight forward process?

Can anyone recommend a good 3rd party software to copy the music onto my PC? Preferrably one that keeps all the track/album and artist information in place.

And then will I be able to transfer these back onto the ipod (once formatted for windows) and play without any issues?

Any sort of info on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Damian

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 AM

Veteran Lounger

It may be easier to use a USB drive or your iPod as a drive if the old tracks are still available on the old computer. As you already know MacDrive will allow the Mac formated iPod to be viewable on the PC, then use the steps and/or software outlined in Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide to copy your tracks to the new computer.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 03-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee View Post
It may be easier to use a USB drive or your iPod as a drive if the old tracks are still available on the old computer. As you already know MacDrive will allow the Mac formated iPod to be viewable on the PC, then use the steps and/or software outlined in "linked article deleted" Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide[/URL] to copy your tracks to the new computer.
No the Mac was my ex's so have no access to it at all anymore unfortunately!

So do you think once I can access the ipod using MacDrive then I will be able to follow the standard intrsuctions on your link for copying my music to PC?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

You can use MacDrive for free for 7 days then you'll have to pay for it. It will allow windows to recognize the iPod so that you can transfer the music back to the PC.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee1236 View Post
You can use MacDrive for free for 7 days then you'll have to pay for it. It will allow windows to recognize the iPod so that you can transfer the music back to the PC.
Thanks for your reply.

Will I need a 3rd party software to transfer the music to my PC or can it be down without?

Once I have managed to copy the music to my PC and then formatted my ipod for windows, will my music files sync back to my ipod via itunes without any problems?

Cheers.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Will I need a 3rd party software to transfer the music to my PC or can it be down without?
It all depends on what iPod you have, it's all covered in the article.

Quote:
Once I have managed to copy the music to my PC and then formatted my ipod for windows, will my music files sync back to my ipod via itunes without any problems?
Once an iTunes Library is rebuilt and you Restore the iPod using the new library all your un-protected music will sync back. Any copy-protected purchases from iTunes Store before they went copy protection free will require you to log into that account before they can be played in iTunes or transfer to the iPod.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: Help with transferring music from Mac formatted iPod to PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.