Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Purchased iTunes music to MP3 player

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Purchased iTunes music to MP3 player

Hi There,

On another forum (for a specific software) I was advised the following: "I have been asked to clarify that burning a CD from ITunes and then ripping that back to your computer is considered illegal. There are sites where you actually buy the music and you have fewer restrictions."

That has me confused. I purchased music, single or album, from iTunes. It is in my iTunes Library in AAC format (correct?). I own an iPod Touch but use it mainly for apps. I have a SansaClip MP3 player that I use to listen to my music. I also want to backup my iTunes Library onto external media, just in case.

My question is: Am I doing something illegal by converting to MP3 format and backing up my purchases? Doesn't iTunes itself give the ability to change the music formats?

Again, I'm confused. I don't want to do anything illegal, but I want to listen to my music on my MP3 player.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this issue for me.
Barb

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 AM

Veteran Lounger

You can back it up and convert it all you want just don't share it on P2P networks. I am no lawyer and no expert on the US laws, but I believe the only thing that would make it illegal is if you were breaking copy protection. Since Apple no longer copy-protects the music files you are no longer circumventing it by burning the files and re-ripping them. Even then I wouldn't worry about it if you are only using them for your own personal use and not sharing the files.

Apple also encourages users to create back up copies using CD/DVD or external drives since they can not allow you to download them again if you lose the originals. So by all means create a back up of your music library including all your original iTunes purchased files.

You are also correct that iTunes can convert the files to mp3 for you so there is no need to burn an audio cd and convert them back as mp3.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks very much for the reply. That is what I thought.
By the way, I live just outside Winnipeg, so Canadian Law would apply.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 AM

That was pretty much the whole point of Apple (and others) ditching DRM with music sold on the iTunes Store. It allowed the consumer to playback the files on other mpeg-4 AAC compatible devices, burn audio CDs without iTunes, and convert the files without issues. You essentially have complete freedom when it comes to that type of usage. The only things you can't do essentially revolve around broadcasting and sharing. Even in Canada, you wouldn't be able to share the files online with someone else (which is called uploading). You also wouldn't be allowed to copy the files to a thumb drive, take them over to a friend's house, and copy them to their computer.

So you are perfectly in your rights to copy do whatever you want with the files so long as you aren't sharing them with other people.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: Purchased iTunes music to MP3 player

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.