Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can Itunes report you for illegal downloads?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-29-2004, 08:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can Itunes report you for illegal downloads?

I have been using Itunes for the past couple weeks and I really like this program and would rather use this as my Primary mp3 player for my computer. However, I was wondering, IF I happen to download certain Mp3's illegally off Kazaa in the near future and add it to the ITunes Library, would Apple be able to search my computer for illegal songs and report me? Or do I have to log-in with my Apple ID, for Apple to access my computer?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:49 PM

You don't need to worry about anything like that at all. There are so many reasons why that wouldn't/can't be possible that I won't even start. Just know that it won't happen.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:51 PM

Junior Lounger

i agree...this realistically WILL NOT/ CANNOT happen. So dont worry about it

You should however worry about using Kazaa. DO NOT share songs.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:56 PM

Reclined Lounger

The most basic and reassuring reason is that there is no way for iTunes to determine if a file is legal or not (unless it has DRM). Just because a file was encoded outside of iTunes does not prove that it is illegal.

A harder-to-prove but nicer reason is that Apple just doesn't do stuff like that. At least, I have never heard of them doing anything like that.

However, note that the RIAA is working on technology that analyzes brain waves, and if you get a song stuck in your head that you haven't paid for... <sorry, sarcastic rant... abort!>

Nous sommes desoles que nos mod
Old 03-29-2004, 10:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

No

It would be privacy infrignment and they would lose some customers.

Don't worry, but Illegal music = Thumbs Down
Old 03-30-2004, 02:04 PM

Junior Lounger

Re: Can Itunes report you for illegal downloads?

Quote:
Originally posted by superbyul
IF I happen to download certain Mp3's illegally off Kazaa in the near future and add it to the ITunes Library, would Apple be able to search my computer for illegal songs and report me?
Yes! They have the technology--it searches your songs and if it finds one that was illegally downloaded, it sends in a report. It's terrifying. And the worst of it--Kazaa is in on it! That's right. The record companies have taken over Kazaa and everytime you illegally download off them, the record companies add that info to their file on you! When they have enough...they come after you.

It's horrible. The only way to protect yourself is to start paying for the music you download, yes, by actually giving money to the artists who worked their butts off to create that song you love so much. Only by doing it legally can you avoid them coming after you. Heed this warning before it's too late!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

another troll
Old 03-30-2004, 02:36 PM

Re: Re: Can Itunes report you for illegal downloads?

Quote:
Originally posted by thirteen1031
Yes! They have the technology--it searches your songs and if it finds one that was illegally downloaded, it sends in a report. It's terrifying. And the worst of it--Kazaa is in on it! That's right. The record companies have taken over Kazaa and everytime you illegally download off them, the record companies add that info to their file on you! When they have enough...they come after you.

It's horrible. The only way to protect yourself is to start paying for the music you download, yes, by actually giving money to the artists who worked their butts off to create that song you love so much. Only by doing it legally can you avoid them coming after you. Heed this warning before it's too late!
April Fools day is two days away...you're a bit premature with your post, don't you think?

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 04-05-2004, 02:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Re: Re: Can Itunes report you for illegal downloads?

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyH
April Fools day is two days away...you're a bit premature with your post, don't you think?
Leave out the April and you have what he is - a fool

BTW - SHARE songs all that you can. Don't listen to these people that say sharing is WRONG!. Tell that to the radio sations that SHARE music all day long every day.

I have been a professional musician for over 25 years and have played on over 10 commerically distibuted CD/albums. I have NO problem with people DL'ing the songs I have performed on. This whole fruad that the RIAA is perpetrating is for one purpose - to keep the RIAA lobby group employed.

You do realize that the RIAA is JUST a lobbying group? They do not represent ANY artist AT ALL in ANY legal matters. They are a group formed by the record labels to promote the record labels interests- not the artists.

2g 20gig - 3773 Songs
Grey Mini - Already Full
Old 04-05-2004, 03:37 PM

Junior Lounger

Dont worry about Itunes calling the RIAA police on you.

Don't use Kazaa and use Kazaa lite instead or even better use allofmp3.com. You can download a full albumn for about 75 cents.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:25 PM

Rockin' The Suburbs

Location: In Chicago there are only two seasons, winter and construction

If you are going to download music "illegally", wise up and stop using Kazaa. The record companies have their grubby fingerprints all over that service, and half the files on there are fakes anyways. Switch to Limewire or Soulseek. Not that I condone sharing files or anything.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Old 07-02-2004, 06:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

say i supposedly downloaded a song or five hundred of soulseek would I be able to put it on my ipod mini
Old 07-02-2004, 07:46 PM

Reclined Lounger

wow... i have to say... "thirteen1031" and "Nobody" r like insane... first of all.. if they could read brain waves.. dunt u think they would start using it to find out real criminals such as murderers!?
its wrong d/l ing songs but they shouldnt worry about it as much...
it is tru that they MIGHT (not sure here)have certain LIMITED (theyre not excatly billionares here) technology to find out if u have illegal songs but as long as u dunt share songs, i dunt think they can do anything to u
o well... like AndyH and Snowdog63 said... theyre fools
Old 07-02-2004, 09:16 PM

12 iPods and counting

Do not use P2Ps. There are so many good ways other than those to share "information". Catch up to the times people, and don't get caught by corporate suckers.

1G 5GB/2G 20GB/3G 20GB and 40GB/4G 20GB/Photo 30GB/5G 30GB Blk/1G Mini Blue/2G Mini Green/iPod Shuffle 512MB/iPod Nano 4GB Blk iPod Touch 8gb
Yeah, I own a lot of iPods. Yeah, I know it's a problem. Yeah, I know I should join iA(iPods Anonymous). Stop making new iPods Apple !!!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

Does this still stand in the year 2011?

Yes I am fully aware of the fact that this is a old thread from 2004, actually it was from a google search that I did today asking the same question that lead me to this forum

In 2004 the overwhelming opinion here was that there was no reason to worry about ITUNES reporting folks if they happened to have a song or 2 that was perhaps not up to code, shall we say.

I bought just my second MP3 player in 2 days. My first was a no name cheapy that I bough for 15 bucks, took it back, then I bought the ipod shuffle 4th generation. Yes I was dumb enough to not know that I had to go through ITUNES, download a massive program etc. I had told the guys at Future Shop that I was a novice, I asked all the right questions accept one big one....

My bad, but you think they could have told me. At any rate I got all my old songs on the ipod now, got a few messages that something was not right and I should go to gatemp3 to re download some stuff.

Do the remarks of the 2004 thread still stand? Or is there reason to worry about the topic on hand?

Thanks

Yes I could have started a brand new thread, but chose to use the one that brought me here, wonder if any of the same 2004 posters are still above ground and still hold their opinions from 2004

Thanks

Topic: Can Itunes report you for illegal downloads?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.