Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Uploaded Music not showing up in ITunes Music Folder

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Uploaded Music not showing up in ITunes Music Folder

When I load songs into ITunes from CD's they load, but do not show up in your ITunes Libary.. Turn on ITunes they are there, but when you go to ITunes Music Folder they are not there???

HELP PLEASE

THANKS,
BR

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Veteran Lounger

In iTunes, right-click on one of those tracks and choose "Show in Explorer" from the popup -- that will open the file's enclosing folder and show you exactly where it lives.

Most likely your actual designated "iTunes Music" folder isn't what you think it is. (This can happen easily if you've set an external hard drive as your iTunes Music folder but then the external drive wasn't connected once; iTunes automatically reverted to the default location in the iTunes folder.) Go into Edit menu->Preferences->Advanced and just look at the "iTunes Media folder location" setting -- is it what you expected?

If not, you'll need to set it to the correct folder (d'uh ;-) But then once that's done, you'll p'bly want to Consolidate all your music files back into that folder. If that's the case, post again for the how-to -- there's a specific way to do it, and doing it wrong can lead to lottsa grief.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

Music showing up in iTunes, but not on hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2_Mac View Post
In iTunes, right-click on one of those tracks and choose "Show in Explorer" from the popup -- that will open the file's enclosing folder and show you exactly where it lives.

Most likely your actual designated "iTunes Music" folder isn't what you think it is. (This can happen easily if you've set an external hard drive as your iTunes Music folder but then the external drive wasn't connected once; iTunes automatically reverted to the default location in the iTunes folder.) Go into Edit menu->Preferences->Advanced and just look at the "iTunes Media folder location" setting -- is it what you expected?

If not, you'll need to set it to the correct folder (d'uh ;-) But then once that's done, you'll p'bly want to Consolidate all your music files back into that folder. If that's the case, post again for the how-to -- there's a specific way to do it, and doing it wrong can lead to lottsa grief.
I use an external hard drive as my iTunes folder. The music was showing up in iTunes, but not on the hard drive. Now the troubling part... in my infinite wisdom, I deleted all of the listings in iTunes and attempted to port them back over from the hard drive... no bueno! Please HELP!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM

Getting help by responding to a 2 year old post is not the most effective means, but I suppose it works.

The best way to recover is to restore your backup of your iTunes folder and the external drive.

I am assuming you don't have one (and you call yourself a Genius )

You will need to see if the music files are in your recycle bin or still on your computer.
If they are not in your recycle bin, they are most likely in My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\<Artist>\<Album>\<song> but they could be anywhere.

You may need to search your computer for music "*.m4a or *.m4p or *.mp3 or *.m4b or *.m4r" to find it. You probably want to search your external drive as well.

Once you find the music, you can use iTunes to import it. File->Add Folder to Library.
Now that you have it all in iTunes you can Consolidate it all to the External drive (this makes a copy). http://forums.ilounge.com/itunes-mac...s-library.html

After that you can delete the original files and set iTunes to always use your external drive for music.

Don't start up iTunes without the drive or new songs will go to your C drive again.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Uploaded Music not showing up in ITunes Music Folder

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.