Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Rename Artist/Album in iTunes, automatically rename Folder in File Library?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Rename Artist/Album in iTunes, automatically rename Folder in File Library?

Hello,

First off, I have both "Keep iTunes organized.." and "Copy files to iTunes.." checked off.

My question is, is there a way have iTunes to rename the actual folders on my HD when the Album/Artist is changed within iTunes? For example, I changed one of my Artists from "The Airborne Toxic" to "The Airborne Toxic Event" in iTunes, but when I go to the iTunes directory on my PC, the folder is still named "The Airborne Toxic". This makes it a pain to find music if it was incorrect when inserted into the library. Also, what data does iTunes use to name it's album/artist folders anyway?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Veteran Lounger

Provided your files are in the folder you've designated as the Prefs->Advanced->"iTunes Media folder location", the renaming should happen automatically. (Check to be certain.) Maybe iTunes 10 is a bit slow in updating....couple of things you can try:
1) Quit iTunes, then relaunch it. Better? If not,
2) Play the track. Better? If not,
3) From a List view, right-click on a track's checkbox; choose the "Uncheck selection" item from the popup menu, then right-click again for "Check selection".

Still not updated? Post again....

Also, what data does iTunes use to name it's album/artist folders anyway?
The general rule is that "Artist" folder names are based on the Artist tag; "Album" folder names are based on the Album tag; file names are based on the track Name tag. If no Artist tag is present, the "Unknown Artist" folder is used; if no Album tag is present, the folder is named "Unknown Album"; if no (track) Name tag is present, the file's name is used.

Exceptions to the general rule: If marked as a Compilation, there is no Artist folder -- an Album folder is created inside the "Compilations" folder. If there are several Artist tags in an album's tracks and if the Album Artist tag is filled in with the same phrase (such as "Various Artists") and if the album is not marked as a Compilation, the Artist folder will be named after the Album Artist tag.

Finally, all folder and file names are made safe for Windows, with "illegal" characters replaced by underscores.

I think that's it....

Topic: Rename Artist/Album in iTunes, automatically rename Folder in File Library?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.