Rebuilding Music library from files recovered after hard disk crash

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

normburk

My hard disk crashed with over 2500 songs and 4 years of music in iTunes. I had a computer shop recover files from the crashed hard drive to an external USB drive, but the directory structure is basically gone. I would like to rebuild my music library on a new hard drive, but don't know what files I need. Can someone suggest a procedure that I can follow to get my music back?
Thank you in advance.
Norm Burk

cjmnews

Staff member
Install iTunes.
Authorize iTunes to the same account you used before.

Set it to manage your files the way you want (I like iTunes manage my music and copy my music to the iTunes Media folder)
Use the iTunes command File->Add Folder to library and choose the USB drive where the music starts. Let it import, and update.

Once it is complete, then make your playlists.

If it fails part way, erase the library and then you can select part of the music (open Windows Explorer, select some of the folders (or search for music *.mp3, *.m4a, *.m4p, *.m4v) and drag and drop the folders (or song files) to the iTunes Music section), pick a new set of folders (or song files) and repeat.

normburk

Needs USB drive attached

CJMNEWS - Thank you for your response. I was able to read my music on the USB drive where it was placed after the file recovery of my crashed hard drive. But there are some curious things happening. When I created the Folder and let it Import, I got at least 5 copies of each song, and in some cases, 10 copies. I ended up with 19500 entries in my new Folder. They all play only when the USB drive is plugged into the computer. If it is not plugged in, I get an error message when I try to play something, saying it can't find the source. Everything is good as long as the USB drive is attached.
Is there a way around this? So that all my music will play without the USB drive attached?
Again, thanks for your input and assistance so far.
Norm Burk

S2_Mac

Sounds like your iTunes prefs were set to not copy files into an iTunes Media folder and so they got left on their original source, the USB drive. You can get around this a couple of ways....

Consolidate
1) First, go into iTunes Prefs->Advanced pane and click the Reset Button up toward the top; then put checkmarks in these two boxes: "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Media folder organized"; click the OK button to save changes and close the Prefs window.
2) Now, with the USB drive attached, choose the iTunes File menu->Library->Organize Library command; put a checkmark in the "Consolidate" box and click OK. iTunes will copy files from the USB drive into the "iTunes Media" folder in the iTunes folder of your computer's hard drive.

Start Over
1) Quit iTunes. In your user account's My Music folder, locate the folder named (exactly) "iTunes"; drag the "iTunes" folder to the trash.
2) Launch iTunes (your library will be totally empty). Do everything in Step 1 above.
3) Drag your USB drive icon onto the iTunes window. iTunes will copy files from the USB drive into the "iTunes Media" folder in the iTunes folder of your computer's hard drive and create a new library.

The benefit of letting iTunes manage your music is that everything will be neatly stored in one place -- your user account's "iTunes" folder. This makes it uber-easy to transfer iTunes to another computer or move your music files to an external drive. And -- a very important 'and' -- this setup makes it really really really easy to make a backup of your iTunes library and music files...the value of which you've just learned ;-)

normburk

To S2_Mac -
Your "Consolidate" suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you very much for your input and wisdom.
Norm Burk