Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 10.0.1 x64 on win 7 version not recognizing iPhones (looks like driver issue)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes 10.0.1 x64 on win 7 version not recognizing iPhones (looks like driver issue)

I have itunes 10.0.1.22 installed on my Toshiba satellite P500-BT2G22 laptop w/ 64 bit windows 7 ultimate, and I cannot seem to get it to detect when an iPhone is plugged in via USB (have tried a few iphone 4's so far).

I have tried the following solutions:
-uninstalling/reinstalling itunes
-uninstalling/reinstalling AppleMobileDeviceSupport
-restarting apple mobile device service

-checking the driver in windows device manager, uninstalling/reinstalling it, 'updating' it. I have it showing under portable devices as MTP USB Device, and under USB controllers as "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver". I've let it install both automatically and manually installed (and i've seen all the support pages on how to do this, I'm definitely pointing it to the correct file/location)
- installing updates for my laptop model, including bios update
- tried turning off the power save feature for the USB root hub controller as suggested in one article
- tried other iphones, no phones recognized, but same phones are recognized fine with latest ver. of iTunes on other OS such as XP
- tried running in xp compatibility mode
- tried adding itunes & ituneshelper.exe to firewall exceptions list
- tried disabling avast antivirus pro which I also have on my machine

- tried connecting the phone in recovery mode- one interesting thing of note is that the phone IS recognized in recovery mode, and apple uses a separate set of drivers for this apparently (because at one point earlier in researching this I did NOT have the drivers for recovery mode installed, but I did for the 'normal' drivers)

I am really pulling my hair out at this point. I have done full uninstall and re-install several times, and tried different DL source locations in case of a bad installer from a specific location. I've tried everything from every support article I could find.. This really looks like a bad or incompatible driver issue to me, but I just have no idea what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Apple has articles on this issue:
iPhone, iPad, or iPod is not recognized by Windows due to driver installation issues
iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, but I've already seen those. If you look at the list of troubleshooting methods I've already tried, everything covered in those articles is in there... That's why I'm having such a tough time and reaching out to forums. I'm hoping maybe there's some obscure software conflict or something that someone else has come across already.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:30 PM

You got my, I am in a hurry answer. I needed to be somewhere else...

You seem to have done the things in those articles, so no need to repeat them as written, but it is possible that changing the order of events could resolve this.
So you could try:
1. Connect iPhone
2. Uninstall MTP USB Device
3. Uninstall All Apple software
4. Reboot (iPhone should be recognized by Windows)
5. Install iTunes

I also found another highly manual process of getting the drivers installed properly.
iTunes Wont Recognize iPhone
You would have to alter the paths from "Program Files" to "Program Files (x86)" but it should work.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: iTunes 10.0.1 x64 on win 7 version not recognizing iPhones (looks like driver issue)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.