Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Combining two itunes libraries (pc & mac) on external hard drive... flummoxed

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 PM

jrm
Freshman Lounger

Combining two itunes libraries (pc & mac) on external hard drive... flummoxed

Hello all,

I know this is a hot topic around here, but I am having trouble finding an answer. If someone could guide me to a post, or help me out I would really apprecaite it!

I have two computers (a pc and a mac). I want to consolidate both libraries onto an external hard drive that I will then plug into my mac. I dont want the music on my PC anymore, and just want it in one central location. So, here's my methodology. Is this right?

1. Format external drive to FAT-32 and connect to PC
2. Consolidate PC itunes library to external hard drive.
3. Connect external drive to mac
4. Consolidate Mac itunes library to the same folder on the external hard drive that I consolidated the PC library to.
5. Delete all the media from itunes on my mac. Tell itunes to find new music on the external hard drive?

Is that correct? It doesn't seem like that would work. D oes anyone have any ideas of how to get these two libraries together on an external hard drive that I can access from my mac? Thanks!

-jon

-jon

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 PM

That seems correct. Though you may end up with duplicates if you have music on both systems that is the same.

Unfortunately there is no magic command to tell iTunes to look for music.

You can try File->Add Folder to library, which seems to be hit a miss among the posters here.
You can try Windows Search on *.mp3, *.m4a, *.m4p, *.m4b then drag the results and drop on iTunes. This seems to cause issues when there are 1000's of files.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Combining two itunes libraries (pc & mac) on external hard drive... flummoxed

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.