Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Help - how to restore playlists

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Freshman Lounger

Help - how to restore playlists

hi All - some help required please!

my itunes library has been getting bigger and bigger so yesterday i decided to transfer all my itunes media to an external drive to free up space on my internal drive... So far so good, all 106gb of the music and movies have transferred across and iTunes can find it all etc.

MY PROBLEM:

the problem is that now all my playlists have gone, ie they are still shown in iTunes down the left side, but they are empty

All the playlists are still active and present on my ipod, since I haven't yet reconnected it. I also have a couple on my iphone, also not yet reconnected.

Is there a way to restore my deleted playlists (obviously not manually!), perhaps by synching my ipod to itunes, although I suspect this might simply delete the playlists from my ipod?

A bit more detail on how I transferred my iTunes media: I copied the iTunes music folder (which includes movies) to my external hardrive. I then deleted the content from iTunes. I went it to Preferences, Advanced and re-pointed my iTunes media location to my external drive. I then went File, Add folder to library and after a bit of time it was all there again... I am running iTunes 10 on a PC with Windows 7.

Any help or even better solutions much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM

The easiest way is to:

Restore your backup from the internal drive.

Then use the info from the sticky to Consolidate your library to a new location. http://forums.ilounge.com/itunes-mac...s-library.html

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks - but I'm not sure I follow your reply...

What do you mean by "Restore your backup from the internal drive." ?

I also did read that sticky, but cannot find anything to do with Consolidate Library in iTunes 10...

Sorry if I missed something !
Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok I've just realised there's a back-up and Consolidate option in the Library section of the File Menu.

Unfortunately I'd never seen that... in the past I'd backed up my media by going into File Explore in Windows and copying the appropriate folders etc.

I see the iTunes backup also covers playlists so useful for the future, but I guess this solution won't help me this time.

Any other options? eg getting the playlist info from my ipod?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 PM

Well, if you have a backup of your iTunes directory, it includes your iTunes Library.itl file that has all your playlists. If you restore this backup, all your changes you made will be rolled back.

Then use the Consolidate steps to migrate to new drive.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi,

I certainly have all the original files as when I manually made a copy of the itunes Music folder I kept all the original ones and haven't yet deleted them.

So how to I use the original itunes Folders to 'restore a backup'?

Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM

You put them back where they are supposed to be.

In your case you put the iTunes Music folder back where it belongs (C:\Users\<login>\Music\iTunes) then put the backup of your iTunes Library.itl file back into the iTunes directory as well.

If you start iTunes, it should be showing you your library before you started.

If you don't have a backup of iTunes Library.itl before your changes, then you might as well leave the music where it is and recreate your playlists.

Topic: Help - how to restore playlists

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.