Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Changing country in Store and updating apps?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

Changing country in Store and updating apps?

Hi,

I have a question regarding apps and switching countries. All my music is now DRM-free so I'm not fussed about that, I know it will play regardless.

My scenario is this:

Let's take an app purchase. I am logged into my one iTunes account, with my country set to Switzerland and using my Swiss credit card.

1. I buy the app. All is well. When an update is released I can download it no problem, free as usual.
2. I move back to the UK. As you might think, you have a new UK address and a new UK credit card, so you change country to UK in your account settings.

Do the apps that I originally purchased while living in Switzerland update without any issues now I have changed country to the UK? Or are they subject to the same ridiculous geographical restrictions and will Apple force me to re-purchase these apps in order to get updated versions?

Just to be clear this is not about having multiple accounts for different countries. It is regarding changing country in your existing one iTunes account.

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Veteran Lounger

Interesting question. I'd think this is the kind of answer you'd want to get straight from the horse's mouth though.

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

I will ask Apple directly, and I've cross-posted in Discussions.

But...

In my experience the people in forums like this are normally much better at answering these kind of questions than support peeps.

Thanks for replying.

I have found a few posts suggesting that you either have to re-download every single app after switching so they are the "local" versions and trigger updates, or switch back to the original country to download updates (which would necessitate presumably re-inputting the old address and payment method).

Neither really an acceptable way of treating this kind of situation.

Topic: Changing country in Store and updating apps?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.