Itunes playlist will not sync to ipod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

zgowhcf

I recently created a new playlist on my itune 9 and that one playlist will not sync to my ipod 160 classic. All other playlist will sync. What could be the problem. I have update all music and playlist as my option so do I have to unselect this option and manually manage every single artist and playlist that I have???

cjmnews

Staff member
Syncing all your music should put the playlist onto your iPod, unless the playlist is empty, or the playlist contains only items that are not usable on the iPod (PDF files).

Are you sure that you are not syncing specific playlists only and need to select this new one?

hinesscott17

I'm having this same issue. I've even deleted the particular playlist, recreated the playlist under a new name, then synced, and it still didn't work.

Sparkee

I'm having this same issue. I've even deleted the particular playlist, recreated the playlist under a new name, then synced, and it still didn't work.
Same things cjmnews posted apply. Tell us about your playlist, is it a standard playlist or a smart playlist? If it's a smart playlist what are the rules?

Mr. Shadow

Disfunctional playlists.

I lost the use of over one-hundred playlists last night. I may have hit the storage limit (80 GB Classic) and it forced me to reset. Once reset it lost access to all lists. I synced everything and still none show up. I figure it can only make lists with the currently stored random songs it selected. So I deleted all of the lists and made new ones, both smart and with genius. None of them show up. On itunes the playlist icon is showing what looks like a gear with the right top of the icon curled over like paper. The only thing I did differently lately was loading from Amazon. But I have done that in the past without a problem. I have lots of Limewire files on itunes, but most are not checked to sync. HELP!? I should be operating within the ipods storage limits and the lists should be within that data.

cjmnews

Staff member
My 30 GB iPod has well over 100 playlists on it. Has had for years. No issues.

If you hit the storage limit (attempted to sync the entire library and it was too big to fit) iTunes usually will ask you if you want to create a playlist of the maximum amount of music and sync to it. Then you get a single playlist with most of your collection and it never changes. If you deleted that playlist, then nothing will sync to your iPod.

You should look at your sync options and either go back to syncing your whole library, or sync to specific playlists and select your playlists you created or go to manual management and drag and drop your songs and playlists to the iPod.

The "gear" playlists are smart, the "note" ones are static or unchanging.

Amazon songs have no DRM from what I see on some Google searches so they should import into iTunes just fine. Limewire songs used to be "flagged" by iTunes and would not sync, I don't know if that still happens or not. Personally I avoid Limewire.

My guess is you are syncing to nothing, and you need to adjust your sync properties. Check out the iLounge article on Synchronization.

Mr. Shadow

My 30 GB iPod has well over 100 playlists on it. Has had for years. No issues.

If you hit the storage limit (attempted to sync the entire library and it was too big to fit) iTunes usually will ask you if you want to create a playlist of the maximum amount of music and sync to it. Then you get a single playlist with most of your collection and it never changes. If you deleted that playlist, then nothing will sync to your iPod.

[/URL].
I never got that message. I got a recovery message after it pretty much locked up. I did allow it to select a random mix that would fit. I still lost access to my playlists. So I deleted them all and made more from that new set. Still nothing. All that shows up now is the empty "On The Go" folder. I just unchecked about 10GB worth of files and now it says I have even LESS memory left than before.

I'll just wipe it all out and start over... ipod only. That doesn't explain the screwed up icons on the playlists. I am updated with the newest version of both itunes and ipod programming. This is not good.

Last edited:

Mr. Shadow

It wouldn't let me do a restore. It says files are being used in another location. I have no other apps open.

I unchecked 50GB and have lots of room left. I'm at a loss.

Mr. Shadow

It looks like Winamp has taken over the playlists. I do not recall allowing that. How do I disaccociate my ipod from Winamp now? I don't see that option under sync.

Mr. Shadow

Now it says I can't even eject using itunes because something else is using it.

Mr. Shadow

Music videos are also not showing. This all happened last night. Everything worked perfect before then and itunes loked okay.

I'll shut up and wait for advice now.

THANKS.

cjmnews

Staff member
Recovery message - That happens occasionally when the iPod gets into a bad state. It basically erases the iPod, and re-adds the music and playlists you sync to it. It sounds like you may have gotten some sort of error doing this. Maybe checking out the Restore Troubleshooting will help you.

Winamp can't take over iTunes playlists because they are not stored outside of iTunes.

If you have m3u files (typical mp3 playlists) these will cause LOTS of issues with iTunes. They should be removed from the iTunes Media storage area. You can have them outside of the iTunes Media storage area where iTunes can't see them, and then you will have no issues.

The "files in use" could be caused by several things. Virus scan, Manual Mode, Explorer open on the iPod drive. Make sure nothing is accessing the iPod. You can just unplug it if you need to.

If you have an external drive with a low drive letter that is just past your CD drive (E: for example), you could have a drive letter conflict with the iPod. This can cause restores to fail and other odd behavior. Apple has an article that can help with that too.

Mr. Shadow

I'll explore this tomorrow. Thank you. Although I did a quick scan. I did not get any numbered error messages. I need to start making screen copies of this stuff, but I was too annoyed at the time. I got one of these:

"iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode - Use iTunes to restore"

It would not let me do anything but attempt to restore. It's almost as if it went into safety mode (and itunes as well) with the minimal icons and such.

But it's bed time now. Thanks again. I'll listen to any suggestions.
tomorrow

Last edited:

Mr. Shadow

I finally got it to resel and started over. It did take the playlists this time. itunes itself still has corrupted icons, but I can live with that. And I did do a repair session on that as well. Thanks. This appears to be a common complaint.

Packer27

playlists don't sync

An iTunes playlist will not sync to the iPod unless the "songs" in it are checked. If all of them in any given playlist become unchecked, no sync, AND you can lose that playlist from the iPod.

cjmnews

Staff member
Packer27: Only if you have your iPod set to sync only checked items. If you don't use that option, you can sync unchecked songs and playlists of unchecked songs just fine.

KopiteDalley

iPod snc problems

I had an issue with syncing tunes I'd bought from Amazon - they showed/played fine in iTunes, but would not sync to my iPod Classic.
I read numerous forums, complaining of the same
To fix it I simply set my iPod to 'manual manage music & video', in my iPod device screen on iTunes
You can then simply drag & drop playlists/tunes etc into the iPod

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I had an issue with syncing tunes I'd bought from Amazon - they showed/played fine in iTunes, but would not sync to my iPod Classic.
I read numerous forums, complaining of the same
To fix it I simply set my iPod to 'manual manage music & video', in my iPod device screen on iTunes
You can then simply drag & drop playlists/tunes etc into the iPod
There is no reason for Amazon purchased music to not auto-sync to an iPod, unless you have done something wrong.

For example, if your Amazon purchases are unchecked in iTunes and your iPod is set to sync only checked items, then they will not auto-sync to the iPod. They'll play fine in iTunes but will not auto-sync (but unchecked items are skipped over in iTunes during playback, although you can start play on an unchecked item).

Another possibility is if you're auto-syncing only part of your library, and these Amazon purchases happen to not be part of what you've defined as your auto-sync list.

So, are these Amazon purchases unchecked? And when you were auto-syncing your device, were you syncing your entire library or only part of it? (e.g. only certain playlists, genres, artists, etc.)