Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Format my HDD?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Format my HDD?

I'm going to have to format my hdd and reinstall the OS. What should I do to keep my iTunes library intact? I know I have to move it to another drive before formatting, but what's the best way to do it so as not to lose "permissions", etc? Thanks.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Backup with any 3rd party tool where you get the iTunes Directory (or where ever you have your iTunes Library.itl file located) and the iTunes Media / iTunes Music directory (where the actual music files are located) to a place that you will not format.

in XP the default location is: C:\Documents and Settings\<login>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
in Vista the default is: C:\Users\<login>\Music\iTunes.

Or you can use the iTunes backup process that creates a copy of everything onto CD or DVD. It is in the File menu. Put the first disc of the set after you reinstall to restore the backup.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Format my HDD?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.