Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The iTunes Library .itl File is locked

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

The iTunes Library .itl File is locked

I am at a loss. When I try to open iTunes I keep getting the message that "The iTunes Libraray .itl file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file."

This started happening after I dowloaded iTunes 9 and Markel Softs Dupe Eliminator. Now the only way I can access iTunes is to open Dupe Eliminator as it also opens itunes. I cannot however copy a CD into iTunes even with iTunes open. I have searched the web and these forums and have not found a soulution that works.

My iTunes libray sits on an external HDD and I am running Windows Vista Ultimate SP2. When I checked the Properties of the iTunes folder on the HDD, the Read Only box is filled in (not checked). I clicked on it to unfill the box and confirmed I wanted this attribute changed for all folders and sub folders, then clicked Apply. After Windows made the change, I clicked OK and closed Properties. When I go back into the iTunes folder Properties, the Read Only box is filled in again.

I have also tried setting permissions for my user account for the iTunes folder and have full permission. I also tried moving the iTunes Libray file t my desk top and deleting the file in the iTunes folder then starting iTunes but that didn't work either. I then tried uninstalling Dupe Eliminator but I get the same message.

I do not know what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM

It seems that the directory structure that the iTunes Library file is located is either read only or not owned by your account.

I discussed some of the checks and fixes in a different thread.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your reply.

I checked both the read/write attributes and have tried to change the file from read only to write capabilities but every time I change it, it reverts back to read only. I have tried this numerous times. I am beginning to think it might be a Vista issue.

I also changed the ownership to my user account and still cannot get the read only change to be permanent. I went in through computer management and made sure I have ownership of the drive and that the drive is not read only, which it isn't.

I am not sure where to go from here. Any other help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

I had the same problem and just fixed it by going to my itunes library.itl file, right clicking on Properties, selecting "Security" and then allowing Full Control to each of the users. Somehow that seemed to fix it -- hope that helps -
Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM

Veteran Lounger

Have you tried uninstalling the dupe eliminator program? Maybe it doesn't play nice with iTunes 9.

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks webuser, I will try that and see if it works.

Scoobz,

I did try uninstalling dupe eliminator but that didnt solve the problem. in fact, i couldn't get itunes to work at all so i reinstalled it.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by webuser View Post
I had the same problem and just fixed it by going to my itunes library.itl file, right clicking on Properties, selecting "Security" and then allowing Full Control to each of the users. Somehow that seemed to fix it -- hope that helps -
I registered just to say this worked when I googled the problem so thank you. I never thought to drill down to the specific file and change security settings, I was focused on the folder permissions.

Running Windows 7 all updates. Installed TVersity and was also messing around with Windows Media Player, so one of them messed with the permissions.

Thanks again!

Topic: The iTunes Library .itl File is locked

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.