Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Is there an alternative besides Media Monkey?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM

Junior Lounger

Question Is there an alternative besides Media Monkey?

My problem is I don't like certain things about Itunes OR Media Monkey.

I'm wondering if there is a 3rd alternative for a library of about 300 gigs of mp3's.

Here's what I don't like about ITunes. I have my MP3's in folders how I want them filed (my own organization system) and I just do not like the way iTunes does it if I enable "Keep my music folder organized".

MediaMonkey WILL keep my files the way I want them, BUT I just find MM to be cumbersome and overly complicated.

What I want is something in between the two - where I can keep my files in MY own organizational system and add them to the library via Windows Explorer, not from within a program.

So I want my player/library to do is:
a) allow ME to organize my files with names and conventions of my choosing
b) use Windows Explorer to move things around
c) have my player be able to find the tracks and show me the albums, album covers, etc. just like MM and iTunes do

So is there a 3rd party alternative to iTunes and MM that is worth using?

If iTunes would give me options for storing my files in various folders and still display them all as part of a library, it would be great but I just don't like its filing system, especially for compilations. I don't want all my compilations in a seperate folder, for example, nor do I want all of an artists albums in a folder with that artist's name, I just want each album in its own folder, like "Lennon, John- Mind Games", then below that, "Lennon, John, Plastic Ono Band", in a list, not nested within folders.

I find Media Monkey to be completely nutty in terms of maintaining the library. If you forget and just add a bunch of stuff to your music folder in Explorer instead of adding it via the Monkey, it makes things very complicated...

So any alternatives would be appreciated.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Veteran Lounger

There's more important things in life to worry about than file organization. Just let iTunes organize them and forget it. I used to be that way. Now I'm much happier, and have more free time.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:09 AM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post
There's more important things in life to worry about than file organization. Just let iTunes organize them and forget it. I used to be that way. Now I'm much happier, and have more free time.
Ditto. I used to be a religious Musicmatch Jukebox user. Going to iTunes and having iTunes organize my stuff was hard to do but now... I don't know why I bothered trying to name/organize stuff on my own. It was unnecessary and annoying work.

Although, you CAN organize stuff in iTunes on your own, you just can't move said files around after adding them to iTunes, or else you'll end up with dead links. You'll have to make sure you have everything named and organized to your liking before adding them to iTunes, or you'll end up with dead links. But iTunes DOES let you name/organize stuff if you want.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

Um, why not just disable "Keep my music folder organized"?

I have that and "Copy files to my iTunes Music folder when adding to library" disabled and I keep all my music organized just the way I like it. Works fine...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Veteran Lounger

Floola is, from what I can tell, probably the most supported non-iTunes, non-Media Monkey solution out there. That said, I can't tell you anything about if it works well or not because even though I like Media Monkey, have it installed, and tinker with it from time to time, I find that "plain old" iTunes is by the superior method for managing an iPod. Further, as others have said, whether you use MM or iTunes, you will be a lot happier if you just stop worrying so much about something as completely irrelevant on a metadata based player as file paths and file names. Counting audiobooks, podcasts, my kids' music, etc, there's probably about 37,000 files being managed by my iTunes installation; let me tell what I do not have the time nor inclination to deal with manually managing except as necessary
Old 09-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Senior Lounger

I think you've all missed the point, Jimsocal is asking for an alternative, he or she know's what iTunes does but prefers to do it manualy (so do I, iTunes screws it up)!

I like MediaMonkey a lot, I don't use all the features but I really want Last.FM intergration which it lacks (along with iTunes for now) so if anyone can get back on topic, is there a go between for iTunes and MediaMonkey?

iPhone 4 (4.2.1) Jailbroken & iPad 2. Using iOS for 4 years. Hate facebook, love last.fm. If you value any advice given in iLounge, come back and say "thanks".. :-)
Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrson View Post
I think you've all missed the point, Jimsocal is asking for an alternative, he or she know's what iTunes does but prefers to do it manualy (so do I, iTunes screws it up)!
We aren't missing the point. I am a pretty big geek, but I use iTunes because for an iPod it happens to be the absolute, no bones about it, best solution for managing the device. There simply is nothing else out there as good or as full featured for managing an iPod.

As cheap as hard drives are nowadays, have one library for iTunes and another for your time wasting grunt level file mucking if you must, but people should point out what is the best answer (iTunes) when it comes to managing an iPod even if the person asking the question doesn't want to hear it.

Topic: Is there an alternative besides Media Monkey?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.