How to have "Electro" and "Electronic" genre arts?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bibby

Hello,

I'm having troubles to make iTunes accept two different photos for those two genres.

"Electro" album art is automatically set for "Electronic" genre, even though I have put, and named them correctly in "genres" artwork file.

Is there any way to have two different genre arts for those two genres? Is there solution for this problem?

Many thanks!

S2_Mac

From looking in the genres.plist file, it appears that iTunes judges any "genre" names beginning with the same characters to be the same, regardless of any differences in the end of the string. For instance, "Techno Ambient Space" is considered the same as "Techno".

So you can either add one or more characters to the front of the Genre name (a space or underscore would work, as in "_Electro" or " Electro"), or make it unique ("Elektro").

OR, you can mess with the "genres.plist" file. Simply add an entry for "Electro" before the entry for "Electronic", as in:
Code:
<dict>
	<key>matchString</key><string>electro</string>
	<key>resourceFile</key><string>genre-electro.jpg</string>
</dict>
<dict>
	<key>matchString</key><string>electronic</string>
	<key>resourceFile</key><string>genre-electronic.jpg</string>
</dict>
The "Electro" jpg will now be used for Electro genre (and also Electrolysis), and the "Electronic" jpg will be used for Electronic and Electronica.

Usual caveats apply: save a copy of "genres.plist" before starting; use a text processor, not a word processor like Word (Notepad or Wordpad would do fine, I'm thinking, since the genres.plist file appears to be ASCII and not Unicode); measure twice, cut once ;-)

bibby

First of all thank you very much for good will to help me!

And you did!!

Once again, thank you!

After read your post I went to modify "genres.plist" file again. I did as you said, put Electro genre before Electronic, and saved it. It didn't work.
Then I deleted all "Electroxxx" genres except Electro and Electronic - and it worked! Now I have separate genre icons for those two genres.

Cheers!

gimletgoop

Or... you can name it "Aelectro, then change it by renaming it and erasing the "A".

This works with all "auto fill" file names.

Also works when you want to change upper case to lower case or vice versa.