Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Itunes won't play AAC & M4A format

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry Itunes won't play AAC & M4A format

Out of the blue, Itunes (v 8.1.0.52) stopped recognizing AAC and M4A format songs.
When selecting and play AAC/M4A- nothing happens. Itunes only plays MP3.

I did try the following: changed import setting to MP3 and selecting an AAC/M4A song , right mouse button, select Create MP3 version, but it gives the unknown error -50. Nothing happens.

I'm stuck and I do not understand what causes it but more important
how to resolve?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Did you try de-authorizing and then re-authorize the computer?
Are the AAC files iTunes purchased or protected or imported by you as AAC?
Check your account and see how many computers you have authorized.

iTunes: Some AAC files won't play

Learn why an AAC format file may not play in iTunes 4 or later.

There are some reasons why a song in AAC format may not play in iTunes 4 and later.

-If you can't play a song (AAC format) that you purchased from the iTunes Store, you may have exceeded the number of computers you can use to listen to your music purchases. The limit is five for digital rights management (DRM) protected music.

-If you're listening to a shared library or playlist, iTunes skips any purchased music in the list (if your computer is not authorized to play the music). To listen to a purchased song in a shared library or playlist, double-click the song. If your computer is not authorized to play songs purchased by the person who is sharing the song, you'll need to enter that person's Apple ID and password to hear the song.

-AAC-encoded songs that were not created with iTunes or downloaded from the iTunes Store, may not play in iTunes. Use iTunes 4 or later to encode the song from an audio CD.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks. I have imported songs from CD's that I've bought. All legal but apparently
Itunes needs something more. "User friendly" is a concept not really known to the Itunes builders. What's there to gain by making life difficult for the end user? Product developers should should start listening to the user. It's beyond me and I've had enough. Now moving to Songbird which plays everything clean as a whistle.

Topic: Itunes won't play AAC & M4A format

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.