Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Transfer iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM

Freshman Lounger

Transfer iTunes

I need help with transferring iTunes accounts from my old windows computer to my new iMac. In my windows (XP) I have iTunes under three user names (myself and kids). I have bought an external hard drive to transfer onto and upload onto the iMac. But how and from where do I get the iTunes from?

I have already ripped about 1,500 CDs into MP3s (a different ripper than iTunes) and have all of the art work in the old iTunes so I really want to move it to my iMac.

I already was able to transfer my MP3s (from my music folder) to my iMac. I can upload the MP3s into the iTunes in my iMac but I want all of my artwork from the old iTunes.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 AM

Veteran Lounger

If your PC's music files were stored in the default "iTunes Music" folder, it'll be easy (if not, it's a bit more work). Locate the "iTunes" folder -- not just the "iTunes Music" folder -- on the XP machine (at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\); copy it to the external.

Next, on the iMac, download and install iTunes. Fire up iTunes once just to let it create all its first-run stuff; quit iTunes.

Now connect the external to the Mac, and use the copy of XP's "iTunes" folder to replace the iMac's just-created "iTunes" folder (at MacHD/Users/<username>/Music/iTunes/). That's it; what was on the PC is now on the Mac -- playcounts, ratings, playlists, art, etc.

Post again if your PC music was stored somewhere else....
Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2_Mac
If your PC's music files were stored in the default "iTunes Music" folder, it'll be easy (if not, it's a bit more work). Locate the "iTunes" folder -- not just the "iTunes Music" folder -- on the XP machine (at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\); copy it to the external.

Next, on the iMac, download and install iTunes. Fire up iTunes once just to let it create all its first-run stuff; quit iTunes.

Now connect the external to the Mac, and use the copy of XP's "iTunes" folder to replace the iMac's just-created "iTunes" folder (at MacHD/Users/<username>/Music/iTunes/). That's it; what was on the PC is now on the Mac -- playcounts, ratings, playlists, art, etc.

Post again if your PC music was stored somewhere else....
On the windows computer I had two hard drives and kept the extension the same except changed the "c" drive to "j" drive. I did not find that extension in my j drive. (I am at work now so I will not be able to try anything until tonight)

I have three different itunes to transfer from the windows PC. How do I find each account, when logging onto the windows it was through each user account? What is the best way to set up the iTunes on the iMac (for three user) should I have different log-ins for the iMac?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

I just found this on another thread, "How to use your iPod to transfer your music to a new computer" http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329?viewlocale=en_US . Will this work for me? Is there any quality loss?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

Any input on the iPod transfer?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Veteran Lounger

That won't really help you; it's just about using the iPod as an external hard drive (and the one you've got is undoubtedly better -- more capacity, faster, and not putting your iPod at risk).

Not sure what you mean by: "I had two hard drives and kept the extension the same except changed the "c" drive to "j" drive. I did not find that extension in my j drive." Eh? What do you mean by "extension"?

If you think that everyone should have their own account on the Mac, then set up three user accounts, by all means. Do you want to keep the music files on the external drive(s), or do you want them all all the iMac's internal drive? (Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm so sick that thinking really hurts, and the transfer needs to happen in a just-so manner in order to save the art....it's a PITA. Luckily, once on the Mac you can use a script to embed the art right in the music files, and not have to go through this again ;-)
Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Okay, I think I confused myself. When I ripped my CDs with my ripper that is when I saved it into my other internal drive (in my old computer). Then when I imported my folders into iTunes I guess I was assuming it was still in my other drive. So, right now I am confused to how iTunes has my music. Do I have a folder for the MP3s that I ripped (in my J drive) and then iTunes has it copied in its own folder (in my C drive)? I have about 30 gigs of music on my iPod and my C drive is only 16 (and it is full, that is why I had added a J drive that had 80 gigs and then I bought the iMac 500g and bought a new external 1t)

As far as the different accounts, I have my own music that my girls don't listen to and I want it easy to sinc my iPod.

I would like to keep all of my music on the iMac and backup the entire computer with the external.

Sorry I am making you hurt, but thanks for your help. I am frustrated with my iMac because I can't get my music.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 PM

Veteran Lounger

LOL -- it's not you making me hurt, it's this blasted whatever-it-is that the docs can't figure out. No need to take it out on the iMac...it's not the one that wants to save the non-embedded art ;-)

Here's how it works: in order to save the artwork, each iTunes library that moves to the Mac must have the same "library ID" as it had on the PC -- that's the big thing holding us back. If the "library ID" winds up being different, the art might as well be off in limbo. And the only way to maintain the same library ID is to be able to get the iMac to use the same "iTunes Library.itl" files that were in use on the PC. And due to the location of some of those music files -- on the external drive -- the only way to make the old "iTunes Library.itl" files work will be to have them live right with the music files. (We'll be able to bring them onto the iMac's drive later; it's just the initial transfer that has to happen this way.)

If preserving the art is really super-important, follow all the intsructions below. If not, just fire up iTunes in each user account, and drop that person's music onto the iTunes window to load a new library. Then tell the Store to find all the art it can, and then post again for a script that will embed that downloaded art right into the tracks (so that you never have to go thru this again ;-).

There's only one potentially deal-killing condition here -- if the external drive is formatted as NTFS, everything's off. The iMac won't be able to write to the drive, and it won't accept the PC's library files if it can't write to them. So, if that external is NTFS (instead of FAT32), you can stop reading ;-)

Condition #2 -- if one person's music collection is spread across two drives (some music on the internal 16GB drive, and the rest on the external), that person's library will have to be "consolidated" to the external. To do this consolidation: fire up the person's user account and launch iTunes; go into prefs and set the "iTunes Music folder location" pref to the folder on the external that holds that person's music; then choose "Consolidate library..." from iTunes' Advanced menu; wait for files to be copied...and quit when done.

Repeat for every user with files split across the external and internal drives. (And frankly, it wouldn't hurt to consolidate an internal-drive-only user to the external, if those internal drive files are not in the default "iTunes Music" folder.)

Now comes the relatively hard part. We're still using the PC for this step, then we'll move to the iMac. Quit iTunes for all users. For each user whose music files are stored on the external drive, copy (don't "move") that user's "iTunes Library.itl" file (stored in \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\ folder in XP; for Vista it's \Music\iTunes\ folder) to the top level of the folder you just designated as that user's "iTunes Music" folder on the external. Also copy that user's complete "iTunes" folder (at the paths listed above) onto the external; doesn't matter where you copy them to, just make sure you can tell 'em apart (like maybe store one in a folder named "Big Sister" and another in a folder named "Lil Sister"...).

For any user whose music files are all in the default "iTunes Music" folder on the internal drive, you can leave the "iTunes Library.itl" file right where it is, and just copy the entire"iTunes" folder to the external. OK, hard part's over! Now properly disconnect the external drive and move it to the iMac (you'll know it's properly mounted when you see the drive's icon on the desktop)....

Set up each user account on the iMac. For each user, fire up iTunes once, just to let it get settled in, then quit iTunes. With the external drive connected, use the copy of each user's "iTunes" folder to replace the entire "iTunes" folder that just got created on the iMac (~/Music/iTunes). (To easily open a user's folder, click anywhere on the desktop to bring Finder to the front [or click the Finder icon in the Dock], then type Cmd-N -- this will open the current user's Home folder.)

Then, hold down the Option key and click the iTunes icon in the Dock....a dialog box will appear asking if you want to create a new library or use an existing library; take the Existing Library... option; navigate the ensuing file dialog to that user's "iTunes Library.itl" file that you stashed in her music folder on the external. That's it for that user -- s/he is now using the library s/he had on the PC, and the library ID hasn't changed, and all the art should be right as it was. Test to make sure; if things look good, move on to the next user.

If this worked out, post again for instructions on how to consolidate everything to the iMac's internal drive (if you want). Sorry for typos in this....
Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am consolidating it right now into my external hard drive folder. I have got 30 gigs to go through the USB so it is taking a little while.

When I transfer into my iMac, is there a way to set up the itunes for two different users? I do not want my daughters music to sinc with my iPod. Or do I need to set up a separate user account to log into my iMac?

I am getting excited about this working. I have not been able to sinc my small ipod for a while and have listening to the same stuff to much.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am a little confused.

You said to;
[copy (don't "move") that user's "iTunes Library.itl" file (stored in \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\ folder in XP; for Vista it's \Music\iTunes\ folder) to the top level of the folder you just designated as that user's "iTunes Music" folder on the external. Also copy that user's complete "iTunes" folder (at the paths listed above) onto the external; doesn't matter where you copy them to, just make sure you can tell 'em apart (like maybe store one in a folder named "Big Sister" and another in a folder named "Lil Sister"...).]

What do you mean by "to the top level of the folder"?

Then copy the "entire iTunes folder" into another folder, that is not within the folder I created, correct?

There was also another folder named "album artwork" within my itunes folder. You did not say to do anything with that, is that correct?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Veteran Lounger

If your music files are stored in D:\Dad\Media\Music\ then copy the .itl file into the Music folder.

The end goal is for the old computer's "iTunes" folders have to replace the "iTunes" folders on the iMac; where you put them on the external doesn't really matter (only their final destination is actually important).

By copying the old computer's "iTunes" folders, you are automatically getting the "Album Artwork" folders; they're in exactly the right place right where they are. So yeah, you need do nothing special with them.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

After a few days of frustrations I have got my music to my new computer. However, I was unable to do it the way that you instructed. When I got to the last part I kept getting a window saying that I did not have authorization to modify this file or something like that.

So I imported the playlist from my external hard drive. It imported all of my music and half of the art work. Then when I logged into the iTunes store I was able to download a lot more album art. But I am about 70 covers short. What is the best way to get album art? I had just googled images in the past, then copied and pasted into the artist info art work. Is there a better way?

You said that there is a next step to preserving the art work so I would not have to go through this again. Am I ready for that as soon as I get the rest of my art work?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Veteran Lounger

Visit this page at Doug's site; download the script. You'll get a .zip file on your desktop; double-click it to unzip it.

Now you'll have a "Disk Image" file (a virtual drive-in-a-file); double-click the .dmg file to mount the "disk". Instructions are right there, even an "installer" IIRC. After the script has been "installed" into the current user's iTune Scripts folder, you can "eject" (unmount) the disk image.

Read the instructions...this is pretty much how all iTunes scripts work. To make things a bit easier on the script, you might want to first build a playlist of all the tracks that have art (to save the time of passing over every track that doesn't have art, if you've got a lot of those)....to do this download the Tracks without artwork to playlist script; let it scan your entire library. When it's done, create a new smart playlist whose two conditions are:
Playlist is Music
Playlist is not "No Art"
This playlist will now list all the tracks that have art; you can select that playlist, then run the Embed Art script.

(Just a note...any time you run a script that's going to make significant changes to your iTunes library, it's a good idea to save a copy of your library file before you run the script. I've never had a problem with one of Doug's scripts doing nasty things to my library, but one or two folks have...better to be safe than sorry. To save a copy of your library file, get into your iTunes folder (~/Music/iTunes/) and hold the Option key down while dragging the "iTunes Library" file onto your desktop.)
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

I was just trying to find some information about getting my music to my computer and I will try this

Topic: Transfer iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.