Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why are some songs check-marked?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Why are some songs check-marked?

I'm new, so be gentle. I've loaded all my CDs onto my iTunes. It says that I have 4000 songs (it also says it is 79 days' worth, which would mean that each song is about 20 mintues long..??). Anyhoo...

some of my songs in iTunes have a check-mark, some do not. I have synched several times (b/c I made new Playlists) but the check-marks are not disappearing. What are they indicating and shouldn't they disappear once I've synched?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM

Veteran Lounger

You may have ripped some "extended" or extra-info CDs that provide bad duration info (or perhaps downloaded some podcasts without realizing/remembering?). Click on the "Music" item at top-left of iTunes "Source" column to list all your tracks; then check the main part of the window -- is there a column named "Time"? (If not, right-click in one of the column headers and select "Time" from the menu.) Click on the Time header to sort your list by track time...any outrageously long tracks there?

(Also click the Podcasts item in the Source column -- are there hours of podcasts listed?)

The checkmarks won't disappear when you sync...their purpose is pretty much to mark which songs you want have iTunes play and sync. (It's an old way of doing things; most folks these days who don't want everything synced use "Selected Playlists" to control what gets loaded onto the iPod.) If you're not relying on checkmarks for deciding what syncs/what doesn't, might as well check them all -- list the Music item, then Ctrl-A to select every track; then right-click on any checkbox and select "Check Selection".
Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

Oh my gosh - yes! Okay, I clicked on MUSIC (top-left of iTunes) and then clicked on TIME to find out that I have two songs being listed as 789:57:13!! These are two R & B songs and that is SO WRONG but how do I fix it? I will delete them from iTunes.

How funny... I'm now down to 4043 songs at 9.5 days. THANK YOU for that!!!!!!

But, on the check-mark issue - - I've just been synching everything each time. Like, an entire sync b/c I thought that if I did not do it that way, it would write over the last sync, not add this sync, KWIM?

Last edited by TxSandMom; 12-01-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Veteran Lounger

See this post for help on the 789:57:13 issue.

On the checkmark thing... Checkmarks will always determine whether a song will play in iTunes -- as iTunes plays one song and then the next and the next, unchecked songs will be skipped (you can always play an unchecked song by double-clicking it, so I lied a little there ;-). Checkmarks can also be used (it's optional) to determine whether or not a song will be synced to an iPod -- in iPod Sync Settings view, check the box marked "Sync only checked songs and videos" (and then click Apply button) in the Summary pane. (To view iPod sync settings, connect the iPod to iTunes; when the iPod appears in the Source column, click on it to select it, and the Sync Settings view fills the main part of the window.)

But checkmarks do not determine what songs are retained on an iPod during a sync. "Syncing" means that the iPod is loaded to match your iTunes: if it's in your iTunes, it's going onto your iPod; conversely, if it ain't in your iTunes, it's not gonna be on your iPod.

Now since that's a bit harsh, iTunes gives you some control over what part of your iTunes will sync to the iPod -- but the "all or nothing" bit still holds true. For instance, if you click on the "Music" tab of the Sync Settings view, you'll see radio button options to "Sync all songs and playlists" or to "Sync selected playlists". If you click the later option, you can then select from the list below which playlists will be synced and which won't be synced. Just remember that if a song doesn't meet your sync options (i.e. it isn't checked if you've set that option on the Summary tab) or if it doesn't appear in a specified playlist (if you've set that option on the Music tab), then it will not be transferred to the iPod; and if it was on the iPod, it'll be coming off at the next sync.

Your "iPod Features Guide" covers all this, as does the Help information. You can also read iLounge articles (links are in the "Articles" items in the orange bar near the top of this page), in particular the "iPod 101" articles (like the Beginner's Guide to filling your iPod article ::nudge-nudge, wink-wink::

(For the sake of completeness, un-checkmarks can also be used to determine if an otherwise qualifying song will be excluded from a smart playlist.)

Last edited by S2_Mac; 12-01-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

S2 Mac - thank you for the very complete explanation even though - as a newbie - it confuses me (I will read it again more slowly next time).

Yes... on the part about syncing... I made a new playlist ("Holiday") and, after hooking up iPod to computer, clicked on that particular playlist assuming it meant that was the only thing it would transfer... which it did, but it also deleted everything else. So, I'm guessing that I have to do a "full" sync each and every time?

I will take your nudging and winking to heart and go off looking for the articles you suggested, but, to be honest... it's much more fun and interesting to post on the forum!

What is a "smart" playlist?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:51 PM

Veteran Lounger

"Syncing" means that whatever you tell iTunes to put on the iPod will be loaded...and everything else will be removed. Maybe you want to be manually managing your iPod; check out the iLounge Beginners guide to filling your iPod (and lots of other good articles -- point your mouse to the word "Articles" up in the orange bar at the top of this page; select the "iPod 101/201" item.

Smart playlists consist of conditions that you set up (such as "Last Played is in the last 2 weeks") which then automatically fill up with tracks that match those conditions. You've got a couple right now -- look near the top of your list of playlists on the left side of the iTunes window, and locate a violet-ish icon with a wee gear inside it (one of them should be called "Recently Added"); right-click on it and choose "Edit Smart Playlist" from the popup menu. The box that opens is the interface for building a smart playlist...check it out, fiddle with it, and then close it by clicking the "Cancel" button (so's you don't change it for real ;-) Then, select "New Smart Playlist" from the File menu, and build your own. (IIRC, there's also an article on smart playlists in the iPod 101/201 articles.)

What good are smart playlists? Well, you can use them to make syncing easier ;-) Like, you might create a smart list that gathers up all tracks whose genre is "Christmas" -- and whenever you add Christmas music, it'll automatically be added to that playlist. You cold also create a "Favorites" smart list that gathers up every track whose rating is 4 stars or better; then whenever you rate a track with 4 stars or more, it'll automatically be added to that playlist. Build up 4 or 5 or 8 smart lists covering different situations (Rock tracks rated under 3 stars that haven't been played in the last 3 months, for instance) and pretty soon your iPod will be getting content "automatically."

Or, they can be used just to help organize iTunes. I use smart lists to easily get lists of all my various formats -- just my AAC tracks, just my AIFF tracks, just my MP3 tracks, etc. along with all my 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. tracks. Lottsa things to do with smart playlists....

Read around...best way to learn. (BTW, what part of Texas?)

Topic: Why are some songs check-marked?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.