ringtone from itunes song

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

1. Make sure that in Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing, you have AAC set as the filetype. 128kbps is perfect, any higher quality probably won't make a difference on the iPhone's speaker.

2. Find any non-protected song in iTunes you want to use for the ringtone.

3. Use the Get Info -> Options -> Start/Stop times to edit the mp3/music file to the start/stop times of your choice. I believe the length must be 30 seconds or less.

4. Right-click on the track you edited and choose "Create AAC Version".

5. Right-click on the original song file and clear the start/end times by unticking the checkboxes so they'll go back to playing as normal. (If you forget to do this, you'll only hear the portion of the song you selected and when you sync an iPod or iPhone, it too will only play the portion of the song within the timeframe. The file itself is fine, but iTunes has flagged it to only be the length you specified. Clearing the start/stop time fields forces them back to the defaults, or the full length of the track).

6. Right-click on the new clip you made (it should appear directly under the original song and have the length that you created, i.e. 30 seconds) and choose "Show in Windows Explorer". This opens a browser window with the new clip you created. Minimize the window.

7. Now, right-click on the file IN iTunes and choose "Remove" then "Keep File". You want to delete it from the library, but keep it on your computer.

8. Bring up the browser window with the new file again, and rename the extension of the file from ".m4a" to ".m4r", i.e. "ringtone.m4a" to "ringtone.m4r". If you don't have extensions showing in windows, you will have to go to tools -> folder options -> view -> and untick the "Hide extensions for known file types box". This will show you the extensions of files so you can rename it.

9. Double-click on the file and it will be added to the ringtones menu in iTunes.

You can use Audacity (a free audio editor) to create fad-in and fade-outs on a track before converting it to a ringtone so it sounds a bit better.

Last edited: