Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What is the official Album Art Size?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

What is the official Album Art Size?

Hi i use a 3rd party software called "Songbird" for my iPod and i also use a 3rd party software to fix my album art called "Tag&Rename", but i need to find out the official Album Art size on iTunes. (Example: 800x550) Does anyone know the official size?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Veteran Lounger

600 x 600 is most common. AlbumArtExchange.com is a great source for high-quality artwork.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

thanks for your reply, i just looked up an album art that was 600x600, it seems like its the official size, I'm still doing research to see if i can find what it is for sure, and yea i know about that website it's awesome
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 PM

Veteran Lounger

Not sure what you mean by "official size"... iTunes doesn't really care, nor does the tagging standard. IOW, you won't be hauled over by the Wrong Sized Album Art police for using a 200x200 72DPI image, nor for a 1250x1250 300DPI image ;-) The whole idea of "nnn by nnn" is misleading anyway... since it doesn't account for the resolution (the dots per inch).

Once a track has art, iTunes creates an optimized thumbnail of it and stores the thumb in the Local folder of the Album Artwork folder in your iTunes folder. These thumbs are what iTunes displays in Grid view, CoverFlow, transfers to the iPod (after more massaging), etc. (I think when you look at art in the Artwork pane of a single track's Get Info box that you're looking at a scaled-on-the-fly "original", and not the thumb.)
Old 10-09-2008, 11:42 PM

Reclined Lounger

S2 I think the OP was asking what size the Itunes store uses on theirs. I do believe 600 X 600 is the right size on these.

80GB 5.5 Gen Black|30GB Photo 4G|1G Silver Shuffle|9635 Songs|103 Videos|11 Photos
Dbpoweramp Lame Mp3 -v3
30gb White Zune|Zune Pass Monthly Subscription
Old 10-10-2008, 12:15 PM

Veteran Lounger

Right; just trying to remind the web generation that pixel dimensions without the context of pixel density don't paint the whole picture (pun intended ;-). Kinda like talking bit rate without accounting for sample rate....

And since iTunes resamples everything anyway, it doesn't really matter what you start with (and, more to the point, iTunes doesn't really care).

Topic: What is the official Album Art Size?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.