How do I convert MP3 to PodCast?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Tru_Messiah

I have found this incredibly annoying for a little while and have spent quite a bit of time looking for a solution but I can't find anything. I have a few MP3 files which are not music, they're spoken word. All by the same person. I'd like to be able to organise them in the Podcast section of iTunes and my iPod, but I can't figure out how to change the file to let iTunes recognise it as a Podcast. I've found plenty of literature online about doing it the other way around; changing a Podcast file to a 'normal' MP3, but not for what I'm looking to do.

It's picky, but I don't like the files showing up as music. Also I don't want to add it as an audio book as it will just show up as loads of files. Suggestions?

Hope someone would be able to help me.

S2_Mac

If you're on a Mac, you can (somewhat) easily get what you want with a script from Doug's Applescripts. Maybe there's sw that does it for PCs...I dunno.

Why doesn't iTunes let you do this? Well, you're thinking of "Podcast" as a category -- a simple label for classifying tracks -- while iTunes considers "Podcast" to be an actual discrete thing -- just as a music track is different than a movie track, or as a car is different than a bicycle.

To iTunes, a "podcast" is the end result of a subscription to an RSS feed that delivers files. So to iTunes, podcasts involve keeping track of the subscription address, a schedule for checking the feed and grabbing new material, and managing the new material in the context of its subscription.

So the key to getting something treated as a podcast is to associate it with an RSS feed. On a Mac this is fairly simple to do, since Macs have built-in Apache web servers -- an Applescript just dummies up a feed page and tells iTunes to get podcasts from that page.

Why not designate them as audiobooks? You'll wind up with the same number of files you started with, and iTunes 8 makes it easy to switch MP3s to "audiobook" status (no more need to convert to AAC and add the correct file extension).

Tru_Messiah

Well as it is at the moment, it's about 50 different files, split across 5 seasons. If possible I'd like to keep them all in seperate sub folders, like Seaon1 season2 etc instead of my audio book just having a massive list of individual songs.

Code Monkey

S2_Mac said:
Why doesn't iTunes let you do this? Well, you're thinking of "Podcast" as a category -- a simple label for classifying tracks -- while iTunes considers "Podcast" to be an actual discrete thing -- just as a music track is different than a movie track, or as a car is different than a bicycle.

To iTunes, a "podcast" is the end result of a subscription to an RSS feed that delivers files. So to iTunes, podcasts involve keeping track of the subscription address, a schedule for checking the feed and grabbing new material, and managing the new material in the context of its subscription.
I must wonder, since I've seen you spin this conflabulated pile of fairy dragon dung more than once, do you actually consider this even a marginally acceptable answer?

A podcast is just a file to everyone else in the entire world except possibly you and Apple's programmers. Why can I rip a DVD of a war documentary that was only shown in public schools and arbitrarily file it with T.V. shows even though it never appeared there? Why can I designate audio files of ambient sounds as Audiobooks even though they're clearly not? Why can I designate a video on how to repair a catalytic converter as a music video and have its audio track shuffle on my iPod? Why can I assign season and episode number to pure audio files? The point is that as of version 8.0, iTunes gives us plenty of ways to specify most media kinds as anything we want them to be with the sole, notable exception of podcasts. Your argument is clear confabulation on the face of it because if this was really about some sublime superiority of Apple's understanding of media types and how they come to be, we wouldn't be able to do anything I just mentioned.

How about the truth: Apple has been remarkably lazy at giving the end user the ability to set media kind flags. There's no justification for this as any programmer worth paying could have designed iTunes to handle this with ease starting with the first version of iTunes to support audiobooks, however the history of what special media types were supported shows Apple had hoped to have people rely upon commercially supplied audiobooks and video instead of doing it themselves. Six year late, faced with reality, they finally managed to fix the audiobook problem as well as the video kind problem that had forced people for the last three years to resort to oddly documented 3rd party software just to get their ripped T.V. series DVDs to show up as T.V. shows. I hope this means they will soon take the next logical step and make any file flaggable as a podcast since only a crazy person would argue it's logical to have to create dummy RSS feeds just to set a database flag.

RpDn

And... iTunes can be confused. I stupidly manually renamed some podcast files. Then of course iTunes can't find them. Instead of 'Locate'ing them, I deleted the library entries and tried to re-Add files. iTunes conveniently decided half of the podcasts that I re-Added were 'Music'... and I can't change the 'media kind' to Podcast. Yes, I suppose I can move them to audiobooks. Rather just change the d@mn 'media kind'.

ScoobZ

I Why can I designate a video on how to repair a catalytic converter as a music video and have its audio track shuffle on my iPod?
Dude, if that's for a 1980 Chevy Chevette you have to hook me up! ;)

butter1093

Banned
I want to know how to convert Mp3 to Podcast, is there anyone can descibe the detailed procedure.

ptha

The solution in this thread worked for me. The files were some old podcasts from 2005/2006 that mysteriously started showing up as music.

I deleted the files from my library in iTunes, making sure to select the "Keep Files" option. I edited them using mp3tag as detailed in the linked thread above, I then reimported them into iTunes, and they appeared as podcasts correctly.