Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Cannot transfer an mp4 video to ipod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 PM

Junior Lounger

Cannot transfer an mp4 video to ipod

I have an mp4 video file that cannot be transferred to my ipod classic during syncing.

Although it plays fine in itunes, I get a message when syncing indicating that the following file cannot be transferred as that file cannot be played on your ipod.
Any suggestions as to what the problem is??

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Senior Lounger

im having exactly the same problem already converted to mp4 shows up in itunes but wont transfer to iphone 3g

anyone have any insight on this?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Veteran Lounger

The devil's in the details -- besides having the right format, you also need to have the right settings (codec, audio rate, video rate/density). Select one of your MP4s in iTunes, then choose "Convert selection for iPod/iPhone" in the Advanced menu -- this will make sure all the little bits are correct for iPod display. (It might take a while....)

In the future, you can avoid this issue by using whatever "iPod" presets your ripping software offers; check the app's Help files or online support for the gory details. Once you get things set up right, your rips should go straight from iTunes to iPod.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 AM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for your reply. I converted the file as you advised, and then synched my ipod.
The file selection did not transfer from the itunes movie list to my ipod videos.
The only difference in the sync process this time was that I didn't get a warning message as I did previously saying that the"file could not be transferred to my ipod because the ipod didn't recognize it"
The mp4 file is a 4 minute video clip downloaded from YouTube. This is the first time I have not been able to sync such a downloaded video file to my ipod. I thought there was something lacking in the video file and hoped the built in Itunes conversion feature would do the trick. Thanks for your attempt to help solve this unusual mystery!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM

Junior Lounger

Batmania...how did you make out with S2_Mac's suggestion??
Old 10-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by idreos
The file selection did not transfer from the itunes movie list to my ipod videos.
The only difference in the sync process this time was that I didn't get a warning message as I did previously saying that the"file could not be transferred to my ipod because the ipod didn't recognize it"
Did you indicate that you want the converted video to sync?

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Junior Lounger

I was trying to ad a new video to my ipod from the iitunes movie folder. But the synching failed to ad it.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

S2_Mac's instructions worked for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

S2_Mac,
Thank you! This worked for me. The only annoyance is as you mentioned. It takes a long time for the conversion to complete.

Topic: Cannot transfer an mp4 video to ipod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.