Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes music disappeared-help

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes music disappeared-help

hi
all my playlists, musics, podcasts etc have gone from itunes. the folder where i keep my music is still there (H drive) and this is showing as the correct location in itunes (advanced tab)

however, itunes is empty. is there a simple way to restore the itunes database. i know i can reimport the songs but i'd rather not as i'll loose all my ratings, playlists etc etc. it also 200GB of tunes.

my computer didn't shut down properly and it happened since then. system restore won't work either.

help

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Junior Lounger

Is it on a Mac or PC? If Mac can you locate the itunes xml and other data files that should be in the itunes folder?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

it's on a pc
Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

help........
Old 08-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Veteran Lounger

Restore the 'iTunes Library.itl' file from your latest backup. That's the iTunes database.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essin
Restore the 'iTunes Library.itl' file from your latest backup. That's the iTunes database.
i can find this file but don't know how to restore...
i haven't backed up the database tho..
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Power Lounger

Hold down the shift key while opening iTunes. Continue holding it down until a screen pops up asking you to choose a library or create a new one. Select to choose a library. A browser window pops up. Navigate to your H: drive and look for an iTunes file with a .itl extension. This is usually located in "My Documents - My Music - iTunes" folder, but could have been located on your H: drive or elsewhere on your computer.

If that doesn't work, then go to "My Computer", click on search and run a search for ".itl" (without the quotes). If more than one .itl file is found, then do the shift-button thing while opening iTunes and try each one. One of them is likely your library.

If not, sounds like something may have went horribly wrong. But if you haven't been moving or deleting folders, iTunes may have just randomly lost track of the library .itl file. This happened to me yesterday. I fired up iTunes and it asked me to choose a library even though my external was plugged in and my .itl file intact. I just pointed iTunes in the right direction and things were back to normal.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germansuplex
Hold down the shift key while opening iTunes. Continue holding it down until a screen pops up asking you to choose a library or create a new one. Select to choose a library. A browser window pops up. Navigate to your H: drive and look for an iTunes file with a .itl extension. This is usually located in "My Documents - My Music - iTunes" folder, but could have been located on your H: drive or elsewhere on your computer.

If that doesn't work, then go to "My Computer", click on search and run a search for ".itl" (without the quotes). If more than one .itl file is found, then do the shift-button thing while opening iTunes and try each one. One of them is likely your library.

If not, sounds like something may have went horribly wrong. But if you haven't been moving or deleting folders, iTunes may have just randomly lost track of the library .itl file. This happened to me yesterday. I fired up iTunes and it asked me to choose a library even though my external was plugged in and my .itl file intact. I just pointed iTunes in the right direction and things were back to normal.
thank you thank you thank you!
it worked
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 AM

Junior Lounger

I guess the .itl on the pc is like the .xml on the Mac.

Glad it all worked out for you! Now back that stuff up, the data and music.....I just lost all of mine when my external hd crashed.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

hope u solved ur prob!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 AM

Veteran Lounger

The .itl file is just called "iTunes Library" on the Mac, no extension.

The .xml file isn't used by iTunes on either Mac or PC, it's for third party software to read (since the .itl file is in a propritary format).
Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

A similar problem happened to me. There was a sudden power failure and my iTunes started acting strangely. I then synched my iPod -- and everything disappeared (from the iPod). I did a Google search and found this page! I closed iTunes, reopened again with the shift key down, selected my library and the iPod is now reloading perfectly!

Thanks, folks!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

How do you select an itunes library file on a mac?
I've tried holding down shift when I start itunes, but that doesn't seem to do anything other than slow the opening animation down.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM

On a MAC use the OPT key instead of SHIFT.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you SO much Germansuplex. You saved my iTunes!!

Topic: iTunes music disappeared-help

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.