iTunes not responding when ipod connected

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

keego1973

HI

My first post. My Itunes is not responding when I connect my 5th Gen ipod. It is fine before ipod is connected but then crashes when ipod is connected. I am running windows XP. It was fine until I downloaded the updated version of iTunes.

Help Please

TIA

ANdy

keego1973

HI

Still no joy. The funny thing is when I diconnect the ipod from my PC Itunes starts to work again and shows my ipod but says it cant find it. I then reconnect the ipod and iTunes crashes again:eek:

This is really annoying

Is it possible to restore the ipod without using iTunes?

hanks

ANdy

orbojeff

Downgrade to 7.6

I had the same issue after my laptop was rebuilt and I installed itunes 7.7
It would take 5-10 minutes for itunes to respond when i connected my ipod
I tried to turn off syncing of music, contacts, calendar, etc - nothing worked!

I uninstalled everything (quicktime, itunes, etc) and reinstalled itunes 7.6.2.9
No problems since

keego1973

Where can I get iTunes 7.6 when I go on the apple site it just directs me to 7.7.

Cheers

Andy

flash and burn

itunes old version install not succeeded

hello,

i had the problem that when i connect my ipod nano 3rd generation to itunes, itunes doesnt 'see' my ipod. i don't know the details.

so i installed the older version of itunes but now there stands that its impossible to open it because there is already a newer version (although ive deleted the newer version)

can someone figure this out? i just want to transfer new songs to my ipod nano

grtz

flash and burn

cjmnews

Staff member
If you have a backup of an older version of your library file iTunes Library.itl that is as old or older than the iTunes version you are running then you can replace the upgraded library with the older one and use the older iTunes. Any changes you made to the library since it was backed up will be lost. So you will have to find your new music and add it manually and create new playlists etc.

I don't recommend that you do the above unless you have to (older OS that can't run newer iTunes) because eventually you will get either locked out of the store or a device will require the newer iTunes.

It would be much better to upgrade to the latest iTunes, then see if it syncs or not.
If it doesn't try the link (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538) there are 6 steps that you can try to resolve it.

You can post your results of the steps and we can determine what else may be needed to resolve your problem.

Another issue being seen more often as people use external drives for their music is the drive letter of the iPod and the external drive are the same, making syncing impossible. Apple has help for that too: Windows confuses iPod with network drive or hard drive and may keep iPod from mounting or songs may seem to disappear

Last edited: