Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 2 devices on 1 iTunes: selective syncing?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-20-2008, 05:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

2 devices on 1 iTunes: selective syncing?

Hello everyone.

I have a 8GB iPhone and a 32GB iPod Touch. Right now on my iTunes library I have about 7GB of music and 7GB of video.

The contents fit with no problem on my iPod Touch, but the 8GB iPhone is pretty much full with just the music.

What I would like to know is, by keeping the contents in 1 library, can I sync just some of the contents (checked ones) onto the iPhone, while syncing everything onto the iPod Touch? I don't want to have to update 2 libraries everytime I add new songs, or have to hold shift to open iTunes every time.

So the problem is with the contents not being able to fit, not a playlist issue that can be solved with a smart playlist. Thanks for any help!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:47 PM

Veteran Lounger

Each device has it's own setting for syncing.
So set the iPhone to "sync only selected playlists" and you're good to go.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

thanks for the tip,

however, my playlists have basically all the songs in my library. So in the end it still snycs all the songs in the library.

Is there a way around that?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:27 AM

Veteran Lounger

You'll have to choose which playlists you want to sync, can't have 'em all!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:17 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essin
You'll have to choose which playlists you want to sync, can't have 'em all!
Yep...can't stuff 5 pounds of sugar into a 1 pound bag...or something like that.

He'll have to make smaller playlists for the iPhone.

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 AM

You can also choose to "Sync only checked items" with the iPhone, but this comes with an important caveat: Any UNchecked items will never play from your iTunes library unless you specifically select them (ie, they will be skipped over during sequential or shuffled playback). UNchecked items will also not appear on the Apple TV.

If you don't own an Apple TV and don't plan to use iTunes to play back your music, this may not be a problem, but it's important to understand how it actually works so that you're not surprised.

Use of different playlists is the far better option. Note as well that you can leverage iTunes' "Smart Playlists" to automatically select limited amounts of content based on various criteria, which is often the best way to automatically fill a lower-capacity device. For instance, you could create a Smart Playlist that selects 7GB of top-rated songs from your "Rock" genre that you haven't listened to in the past week. This would be limited to the 7GB capacity (so you could ensure that it "fits" on your iPhone) but would automatically update as you rate and listen to your songs. You could also create a series of these with smaller caps to combine different types of content and just sync them all to your iPhone (for example, a 4GB list for videos, a 2GB list for newly-added tracks, and a 2GB list for your favourite music).

One other point to keep in mind that has caused some confusion: Video playlists for TV Shows and Movies are synced from the "Videos" tab in iTunes. Even though these may appear on the "Music" tab, selecting them from there will have no effect.... You must visit the "Videos" tab and choose "Playlists" from the drop-down menus under TV Shows or Movies. Music Video playlists are controlled through the "Music" tab, however, alongside your normal audio-only tracks.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:19 AM

Veteran Lounger

Sure -- use smart playlists (or regular playlists, for that matter) to limit the amount of content that goes onto the iPhone. Poke around in a Smart Playlist dialog and note that you can limit a playlist to an amount of bytes, or minutes, or tracks...you have lottsa control.

Once you build a playlist(s) that sets limits, tell the iPhone to only sync that list(s), via the iPhone's Music tab in its iTunes settings window.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

hello everyone,

thanks for all the help. I certainly learned a whole lot of ways to manage my music

After reading all the suggestions, I created a playlist called IPHONE ONLY, and put in all the music that I would like to have in my iPhone there (came out to about 4GB), and then use smart playlists to make iPhone-only-SUB playlists, with the criteria that they can only come out of the IPHONE ONLY list. Works good for now.

Since I use my 32GB Touch most of the time in my car (where I spend the most time listening to music) and only short periods of time on the iPhone when I'm at work, 4GB of music is enough.

But there is a problem here: when I sync the music to my iPhone, more than 1/2 of all album arts don't show up! Is this a glitch with iTunes and iPhone? It shows up fine on my iPod Touch!

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 07-22-2008 at 04:34 AM.

Topic: 2 devices on 1 iTunes: selective syncing?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.