Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't add folder to library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Junior Lounger

Can't add folder to library

Hey guys.
I'm currently running iTunes 7.6.2.9 on Windows Vista SP1. I don't know what's happened but now when I click on File/Add folder to library my external hard drive wont expand in the folder list. It only ever displays the last folder added. If I click on the arrow above to expand the drive it doesn't do anything.
The only way I can add musci at the moment is drag the folder onto my playlists, which will then create a playlist at the same time as importing the music into my library.
Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

What exactly is the problem again? Are you saying that when you go to add a folder, which is located on your EHD, that it is not found? Or it wont open? I may know how to help you, I just need a little clarification on what exactly the issue is.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 AM

Junior Lounger

Here you go, here's a picture! The E: drive is a USB hard disk that is permanently connected to my laptop, purely for storing music on. You'll see that under the music folder there is only one folder listed, this is the last album I added to iTunes.
If I close and re-open the music folder in this window it used to then list the contents of the music folder. Now it doesn't and just shows the last album added.

Hope that makes a bit more sense!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Talking

Okay, are you trying to create a playlist from your external hard drive? If so, why don't you just go to File \ Add File instead. When you open up your EHD, you can rearrange the tracks by the most recently added and create your playlist from there.

I'm only assuming you want to create playlists. If you're not, then I know this seems very obvious and redundant. Just let me know what exactly it is you're trying to do.

Also, when you tried to Add Folders in the past, did it use to open a large amount of folders? Again, I'm sorry for being difficult, but the more details the better.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM

Junior Lounger

Hey!
No I am trying to import music into my iTunes library. As an old and stubborn PC user I use EAC to rip my CD's, the files are copied to E:\Music into a folder by the same name as the album title.
I then go into iTunes to import this folder into the library, but when I try to expand the folder in the above window I am not able to select the folder because it is not displayed. Only the last added folder is displayed under the Music folder.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem. When I go to File > Add folder to library, the only thing that shows up in my music folder is the last folder I added to the library, and none of the other 50+ gigs of music that is in the folder. I started having the problem in itunes 8, then downgraded to 7 hoping it would fix the problem but it started doing it again the first time I tried to add a folder after the initial add of my entire music folder.

While I'm at it... I have also been having another problem. Any time I try to open itunes from the start menu it starts the windows installer configuration process, even though itunes is already installed. So I either have to wait for windows installer to configure itunes before it will open, or open some type of media that itunes is the default player for. If I put in a cd and double click my drive (which is set to import cd through itunes) it will skip the configuration.

I've always been a huge itunes fan, but if it keeps this up I'm going to be forced to switch to something else, which would be very disappointing considering almost all my music is in apple lossless format.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Junior Lounger

I never found a solution to this. My work around was to drag the folders into the playlists and that would then import the music.
However, since suffering a Vista crash and reformat and reinstalling iTunes from fresh it is now working as it should.

Topic: Can't add folder to library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.