Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Does the 'Keep iTunes Music folder organized' option affect Videos?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-12-2008, 06:37 AM

T0t
Junior Lounger

Does the 'Keep iTunes Music folder organized' option affect Videos?

Well, for starters I have both "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" turned OFF.

Anyway a few days ago I bought a few Music Videos as well as a few TV show episodes off iTunes. The TV shows were tagged correctly for the most part, but I did change certain things such as capitalization, spelling, some shows didn't have a season put in, etc. Very minor changes.

The Music Videos, however, were changed drastically. Specifically when it came to album name and artist name. Now I have the videos the way I want them, but the original directory of the video files (ie. the iTunes folder inside of 'My Music') still has incorrect information/folder names. I don't feel like changing the name of each folder manually so I'm wondering if turning on "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" would rename my existing music video folders according to the tag information inside of iTunes?

If so, does this option also affect TV Shows and TV Show folders? Or just Music Videos?

And last but not least, turning on "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" will not automatically enable "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library", will it? I often notice these two options are grouped together but I'd rather manage everything OUTSIDE of the iTunes folder myself.

Last edited by T0t; 01-12-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:32 AM

Junior Lounger

Yes, it should rename them when you check 'Keep iTunes Music folder organized'. If it's not checked, you'll have to do the changes manually, because editing the files in iTunes won't affect the actual file, the changes will only show up in iTunes.

That option affects everything within iTunes. TV Shows, Movies, Music Videos, Audiobooks, Podcasts, EVERYTHING.

No, it will not automatically enable 'copy files to itunes music folder'.

Last edited by EmeraldICE898; 01-12-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:01 AM

Firstly, anything you download from the iTunes Store or rip from CD through iTunes will always be stored in the iTunes-organized location under the iTunes Music Folder regardless of the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" or "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" settings. The bottom line is that if you are creating new files in iTunes, they have to go somewhere.

What the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" option does is determine whether or not iTunes will move/rename these files when you change the tag information. With this option OFF, the files are downloaded to their default locations, and will stay in those locations, regardless of what you do to the tags. With the option ON, iTunes will move and/or rename the files as necessary to match the tag changes.

This option is definitely exclusive of the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option, which basically just determines if files that you add to your library manually are copied into the iTunes Music Folder or not. Regardless of the "Keep Organized" setting, anything you copy in will again go into the default location in the iTunes Music Folder (in much the same way as downloaded/ripped tracks will). Much like downloaded/ripped content, the "Keep Organized" setting only determined if iTunes will later move/rename this content as you change the tags.

You can use both options exclusively of each other, since the "Keep Organized" setting only applies to content that is already in the iTunes Music folder.

Note that when in your iTunes Music Folder, Music Videos are organized in the same way as music tracks are (ie, Artist\Album folders), while Movies are placed in a "Movies" folder, and TV Shows are placed in a "TV Shows" folder, with each Show as a sub-folder.

Podcasts are a bit odd, as they will be downloaded into a "Podcasts" folder, sub-organized by Podcast Series name. However, if you edit the track information (with "Keep Organized" enabled) or do a "Consolidate Library" then these Podcast episodes will be reorganized in the same way that music tracks would, in an Artist\Album structure.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 PM

T0t
Junior Lounger

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply guys.

So, if I understand correctly, "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" does affect Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos, etc?

Also, say I have "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" turned OFF and "Keep iTunes Music folders organized" turned ON. What will happen when I add new media to my library (from a directory completely separate of any iTunes folders)? Will it attempt to re-organize and re-name or move anything? Or will it only re-name and re-organize media already inside of the iTunes Music folder, and ONLY there (media would mostly be purchased content).

As I stated above, I'd like to manage everything outside of the iTunes folder myself. I don't want iTunes touching media outside off the iTunes folder.

Last edited by T0t; 01-12-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:41 AM

Yes, your assumptions are basically correct.

With "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" OFF, the only files that will ever be placed into the iTunes Music Folder are files you download from the iTunes Store or that you rip from CD through iTunes.

Anything added to the library through the File->Add to Library option will remain in its original location and be referenced from there.

iTunes never attempts to rename or organize anything that is not located in the iTunes Music Folder, regardless of the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" setting. In fact, iTunes will not even offer to delete files that are located outside of the iTunes library when removing them from iTunes.

(Of course, if you place a file in the iTunes Music Folder and then Add it to your library from there, it will be reorganized if the Keep Organized setting is turned on -- anything that is in the iTunes Music Folder is fair game, anything that's not is considered none of iTunes' business).

Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 PM

Ex iPod Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0t
And last but not least, turning on "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" will not automatically enable "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library", will it? I often notice these two options are grouped together but I'd rather manage everything OUTSIDE of the iTunes folder myself.
I used to, too, but I have bit the bullet and now let iTunes do things its way. I know it seems counterintuitive, and takes a certain amount of letting go (especially if you have already put a lot of work into the filing system), but I have had FAR fewer problems with the iPod and iTunes this way. I'm becoming convinced that a lot of the problems reported here are due to people doing manual management of iTunes and/or their library. Of course they should be able to, but that's Apple. Also, having iTunes update filenames along with the tags is actually kind of cool. My 2c.

PD
SF, CA
32gb iPhone 4S (white) / Win7 Home / iTunes 10
Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Power Lounger

I just want to toss my hat into the "Let iTunes do it" pool. As someone who used Musicmatch originally, I had thousands of tracks sorted just how I wanted them, and letting iTunes take over was kind of hard, but I realized I was just wasting time moving files myself. If I want to find a movie soundtrack, boom.. all I do is go to compilations. If I want to find an album by the artist, all I have to do is go to that artist's folder and his/her album is there. iTunes is just cutting out unnecessary work.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Yes, letting iTunes manage your underlying file system will make things far simpler in the long term, particularly when you need to deal with moving information to a new computer or a new hard drive.

Basically, unless you have another software package that needs to access the files in a certain structure, there's really no reason not to let iTunes manage the file system for you. Any specific file can still be looked up from within iTunes by right-clicking on the track and choosing File->Show in Windows Explorer (or Show in Finder on a Mac), and another little-known feature is that you can highlight a group of tracks (say a playlist, for example), and drag-and-drop those tracks right from your iTunes window into a Windows Explorer window to copy them to another folder -- so even if you frequently copy whole playlists to other devices (drag-and-drop MP3 players or external storage, for instance), this can easily be done through iTunes.

The whole reason I went with iTunes (and the iPod) in the first place is that I was previously spending more time managing my music than I was actually listening to it.

Topic: Does the 'Keep iTunes Music folder organized' option affect Videos?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.