Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Transferring Playlist from iPod touch to iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Transferring Playlist from iPod touch to iTunes

Newbie Warning: PLEASE HELP
We previously had a Mini and 1G Nano synched with our ITunes on our PC. We created playlists in iTunes but under each Ipod as opposed to general playlist we could have copied to the Ipods. Based on our issue, we believe the latter may have been an easier way to manage playlists.
ISSUE: We got a new PC (iTunes Library was on external drive) as well as 3G Nano and 8GB iTouch. How do we copy our previous playlists currently on the Mini and 1G Nano, to the reinstalled iTunes on the PC? This way we can xfer these to our new devices? When we try to drag and drop, iTunes does not allow us to do this.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Hi and welcome to iLounge.

Unfortunately, iTunes does not provide any means to transfer this information from the iPod back to the iTunes library. You will need to look to a third-party utility for this.

See our iPod 201 article, Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer for more information.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks jhollington. Just to clarify, I do not want to transfer the actual music but just the playlist data...? Same answer huh?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM

Yes, more or less. Some third-party applications will just sync back the playlists, while others will want to copy the tracks as well. Worst-case scenario is that you let the entire process run, and then just discard the recovered tracks and import the playlist data into iTunes.

It's all explained in the article above. One point of clarification, however, is that utilities to transfer from the iPod touch are somewhat more limited, so pay attention to that part, since there are a lot of utilities that work well with the traditional iPods, but only with the traditional iPods. Check out www.findleydesigns.com for one option for the iPod touch.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks Jesse! I will be a bit conservative here and not try a 3rd party utility for my touch. Good ol' manual playlist building for me tonight. At least a chance to update lists.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

I'm also having this problem where I want to restore playlists on my iPod Classic 160GB to a reinstalled version of iTunes. I don't want to have to do this manually because some of my playlists are quite long (which is also why I'd prefer not to have to go back in and delete the files from 3rd party software which has copied the music and the playlists).

You mentioned that there may be a 3rd party program which will allow me to do specifically that? Which programs do this? I've checked the free ones, and none of them seem to let me copy the playlists without the music files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 AM

There are several third-party tools that can do this, but unfortunately most of them will cost you a few bucks to purchase. Check out our iPod 201 article, Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer for more information.

IMHO, the best options at this point are either Music Rescue (Mac/Windows) or CopyTrans (Windows only). Both offer trial versions, so you can confirm they do what you want before spending any money. Music Rescue's trial version is less limited if I remember correctly.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

jhollington, thanks for your quick reply. I tried using both of those programs and, again, to no avail. They still require you to download the actual music files in order to get the playlists.

I've read up on all the FAQs a couple times, and none of them seem to address this problem in particular.

Should I just resign myself to spend the time to reconstruct the playlists manually (or go through and delete all the duplicate files manually) or is there some way to do this in a more automated fashion?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrainV
Should I just resign myself to spend the time to reconstruct the playlists manually (or go through and delete all the duplicate files manually) or is there some way to do this in a more automated fashion?
If you're stressed over having to delete the duplicates created by this, note that you can use the "Date Added" field to identify the duplicates, assuming you didn't add any other legitimate songs that day. Either use the "Show Duplicates" utility in iTunes and sort by Date Added, or create a smart playlist to grab all songs added on a particular day, then delete them.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Junior Lounger

b-bump

anything other than a manual reconstruction? i used a playlist for my touch 2g, and deleted/restored all my music as i had updated my library quite a bit and searching in itunes was becoming a b1tch. lo and behold it deleted my playlist content and simply trying the "transfer purchased content from ipod" did not restore it.

WHY THE HELL CAN YOU NOT JUST REFRESH YOUR LIBRARY?!?!?!?!

i swear that between this program and "quick"time i have enough reason to never even try a mac for the rest of my life.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM

Junior Lounger

And still no answers here or on two other forums for what seems to be a growing need. The transfer of specific individual playlists from one iPod to another iPod.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Veteran Lounger

Using ascian's post as a starting point: i used a playlist for my touch 2g, and deleted/restored all my music as i had updated my library quite a bit and searching in itunes was becoming a b1tch. lo and behold it deleted my playlist content and simply trying the "transfer purchased content from ipod" did not restore it.

A playlist in iTunes is not just a "list of track names" or somesuch-- it is a list of references to track IDs assigned to files by a specific library; in turn, the track IDs are linked to specific file paths. If the file ain't there, the playlist has little value. So, deleting your music (or using the same music files in a new library) is a sure way to render your playlists worthless. IOW, playlists require the presence of the actual files they reference.

A script -- or third party app -- can easily extract info from a playlist (even one with missing files), but the result would be a mere list of information; it would do nothing to help you automatically put files onto another device.

OTOH, the convention of third party apps to "import" a playlist into iTunes -- to move the actual files referenced in a playlist and have iTunes assign them a track ID -- is a sure winner. If you get dupes, big deal; just use Show Dupes and spend a couple of minutes trimming them out.

In response to djjonnyt's "growing need [for] the transfer of specific individual playlists from one iPod to another iPod", I wouldn't expect Apple to provide this at any time, as it runs contrary to the idea of syncing. (Imagine that you cross-load a few tracks from your bud's iPod onto yours. The next time you go to sync, those tracks will be deleted since they don't exist in your iTunes library.)

For iPod-to-iPod action, try something like JakPod (I'm sure there are others .)
Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 AM

Power Lounger

Quote:
And still no answers here or on two other forums for what seems to be a growing need. The transfer of specific individual playlists from one iPod to another iPod.
Ehhh...couldn't care less (as I suspect is true for most). Family-wise, have been thru 7 different iPods with 3 different iTunes Libraries & have NEVER had a need for this capability. All you gotta do is keep your music on your computer....

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
All you gotta do is keep your music on your computer....
And back it up regularly so when (not if) your computer drive goes belly up you won't have lost all your data.

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.

Topic: Transferring Playlist from iPod touch to iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.