Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Networked Music Stutters

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Networked Music Stutters

I generally use my laptop to play music with iTunes, but I keep the music on my desktop PC. I dislike the built-in network option in iTunes because you cannot modify/transcode/etc "Shared" libraries, so I shared the actual folder within Windows on the desktop PC and just added that folder to my laptop iTunes library. Thus, as long as I'm at home and on my home network, I can do whatever I like with the music. It is mine, after all, iTunes.

Sometimes, it plays flawlessly for hours. Other times, the stuttering is absolutely intolerable. The source drive is fragment-free, my router is 54Mbit/s and I'm connected at full quality at this speed according to the systray icon--far more than sufficient bandwidth to stream music--and my DSL is only 6Mbit/s down + 1Mbit/s up, so even if I were DL'ing and UL'ing at full speed, there's no reason this should happen. It happens regardless of me browsing, regardless of filetype (192kbit/s AAC stutters just as frequently as ALAC files, from what I can tell)... wtf? Can I increase the buffered amount somehow? (This isn't the option you can set in the standard options menu; that one's already on Large, and has no effect on this.)

The network seemed to stall quite a bit when I shared my library the standard way as well. I'm hoping there's a Windows setting that will affect this. Or an iTunes one, idc. I just want it to STOP!

--

edit: My router's never drops packets from anything I can see; when I pull up the systray icon and go to the part where that's talked about, even after being connected for days I don't see any dropped packets. Dunno if this applies to internet only or home network too, but I torrent and the packets fly during that and never get dropped. So I'm disinclined to believe that's the issue.

I must assume that it's the drive being accessed in the other room by its "native" computer that interrupts things, because it'll stutter alot for a few seconds up to a minute or so, then calm down and not do it for ages. (That PC authenticates to the network pre-logon, and I'm leaving it logged off to minimise access, but I can tell how much this helps. It still stutters plenty, though.)

Last edited by jwalker1196; 01-04-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Topic: Networked Music Stutters

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.