Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How Do I Keep My Playlists on iPod Separate from iTunes?!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy How Do I Keep My Playlists on iPod Separate from iTunes?!

Hi! This problem is extremely frustrating...

I only listen to music on my iPod and never use iTunes when I listen to music on my computer (I use Winamp) so the Top 25 Songs playlist really matters a lot to me on my iPod but it's useless on my iTunes.

So I set iTunes to sync all my media but when I do this then iTunes always overwrites the playlists on my iPod, erasing all my hard-earned rankings :P

How do I stop this (other than going to manual manage)? I tried making it so that it doesn't update the playlists but then it just ERASES them altogether.

Why is iTunes so rigid and silly?!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks : )

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 AM

Veteran Lounger

If you don't actively use iTunes, why not just leave everything in it's place there and continue to auto-sync?

Other then that, "Manually manage music" is the right option for you. Since, you know, that's what you want to do...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hmm! The problem is because I rarely use iTunes and I'm leaving everything in it's place... since the iTunes Top 25 playlist is always blank, so the auto-sync overwrites my useful Top 25 on the iPod with the blank one from iTunes.

I guess manual is the ONLY option? How silly, iTunes.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 AM

Veteran Lounger

If you sync your iPod (with it's updated play count and date played info) to iTunes, you'll find that the Top 25 playlist get's populated.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Veteran Lounger

It may take a couple of syncs for the changes to make it back to the iPod. The first sync will set all the play counts and ratings to iTunes and write the empty Top 25 playlist back to the iPod. Check the Top 25 playlist in iTunes, it is probably now populated with the content that was on the iPod. Syncing it once more should put all the tracks in the Top 25 playlist back to the iPods playlist.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 PM

Can you share the exact settings of your mostplayed playlist?

What you describe sounds very odd to me. Depending on your use of iTunes, I'm confused as to how this playlist ends up empty, particularily if you are keeping everything still in iTunes....

All changes from the iPod should sync back to iTunes. iTunes should only overwrite the iPod if you have made extraneous changes to the files between syncs. There is a chance that your use of another media player between syncs may be interfering with how iTunes thinks it should sync to the iPod....

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for all your responses, folks!

Essin: it doesn't though... the syncing is only one way it seems (iTunes --> iPod) not the other way around.

Sparkee: I have to try a couple times? Cause I formatted my computer specifically to get around this problem and it worked once but then it stopped working.

studogvetmed: the settings are exactly as they are in default, since I'm working with a fresh XP install and fresh (latest version) iTunes install as well. It was giving me this trouble so I unchecked live update and it was still doing the same thing (so, that check box doesn't seem to affect my problem). I use the last.fm application and also, as I said before, Winamp to play my media. I've attached a screenshot of the settings for reference:

Old 12-04-2007, 08:22 PM

If you leave live updating unchecked it won't change anything at all on the iPod or in iTunes... I think you'll need this back on....

Still trying to figure out what the problem.

Playcounts and ratings ARE bidirectional under normal conditions.... I'm very confused as to why this is not working for you....

Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

OKAY. Update: the playlist seems to work but with an added twist (and this happened on my old install as well): the playcount only goes as high as 2, and possible as high as 5 but I know for a fact that I've played certain songs at least 20 times.

On the old install, all songs would be stalled at 5 plays maximum, so my Top 25 Playlist was basically all "5 plays" songs and even then they were old ones that I had listened to a long time ago, so I had the distinct impression that the playlist had stopped updating itself.

Any tips on that? Why do playlists hate me?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiboy
OKAY. Update: the playlist seems to work but with an added twist (and this happened on my old install as well): the playcount only goes as high as 2, and possible as high as 5 but I know for a fact that I've played certain songs at least 20 times.

On the old install, all songs would be stalled at 5 plays maximum, so my Top 25 Playlist was basically all "5 plays" songs and even then they were old ones that I had listened to a long time ago, so I had the distinct impression that the playlist had stopped updating itself.

Any tips on that? Why do playlists hate me?
If you are using the iPod as a primary listening device there are situations where playcounts may be lost before sync.

Occasionally resets, will loose some play data.

Also to increment playcount the song must play all the way to the end.

Also, depending on your use of iTunes, changing tags in iTunes before syncing can cause playcounts and ratings to be lost from the iPod.

I don't know how winamp access the same songs that are in the iTunes library, but I question if it causes iTunes to think the files have changed and cause an overwrite of the iPod information.

I can't be for sure, but your unorthodox use of iTunes/winamp combination may be part of the problem and it could be difficult to pin point what it's all about...

Links to common ?'s

Topic: How Do I Keep My Playlists on iPod Separate from iTunes?!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.